New diver - need gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justwannadivenow3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys

I started diving a few months ago, already have 16 dives - all while traveling. I'm OW, but plan on doing my AOW in a couple of months. I travel several times a year. I'm looking to purchase some gear that will last me a while. I plan on diving 50 times a year or so. I'm been doing some research on gear set up's, but would love advice on purchasing gear I can grow with.

Welcome!

As I'm thinking about recommendations, I have a few questions.

Which environment do you plan to mainly dive?

Are you comfortable with used equipment or do you prefer retail? Would you want equipment that's easy to service?

Which sorts of dive goals do you have?

Any budget in mind?

Cameron

I would personally at least check for something slightly used first, or eBay "used in a pool once" lol. I just got one doesn't look like it was ever used because the first stage hadn't been turned, they come out of the box with the second stage in the bottom of the first.

I don't know how you can beat that, the first owner took on the depreciation and you will probably pay what you could sell it for 5 years from now.

Also what I have found in my journey of outfitting the entire family (4) is that you want to spend the money on the first and second stage, this way if you get into other stuff down the road you don't need a whole new reg and can accessorize.

The ScubaPro MK's are nice and seem to be a favorite of the tech divers. I love my Atomic.

Another thing I have learned along the way is used tanks may not be the best route for long term. It seems the initial cost is lower used but if you account for resale value new tanks may have a lower cost of ownership. LeisurePro has the XS Scuba Faber's with XS Scuba valves (shows by color whether on or off) on sale right now with free shipping. This is a really cool feature because I have seen lots of people try to jump in the water with their tank off on charter boats, they don't even realize the captain or assist is behind the diver turning on their tank as they walk the plank lol. It also makes them easier to sell later to newbies getting into diving.

These tanks will always hold their value. You can get two new steel HP 100's for 670 right now and to buy 2 used you wont even save 100 bucks.

Hope this helps.

Welcome!

As I'm thinking about recommendations, I have a few questions.

Which environment do you plan to mainly dive?

Are you comfortable with used equipment or do you prefer retail? Would you want equipment that's easy to service?

Which sorts of dive goals do you have?

Any budget in mind?

Cameron

Mostly hot destinations (Caribbean and SEA)

I'd be comfortable with used equipment as long as I know its in good condition. I definitely want something that is easy to service

What do you mean by dive goals?

Still thinking through the budget - would like to keep costs down of course

I'd be comfortable with used equipment as long as I know its in good condition. I definitely want something that is easy to service

Ive been scouring the internet pricing things for weeks. Like a full time job getting the family going lol.

If you could offer 350-400 on this, I don't think you could find a better deal. I also don't think you will ever need a new reg.

BRAND NEW SCUBAPRO MK21/G260 Regulator still in the box | eBay

Just the second stage for that regulator is 390 at leisure pro

There are also some Atomic B2's out there for 400, but you will have to watch for them and bid at the last second hope no one else bids.

My 2 cents, good luck.

I have a perfectly fine BC that I could part with for $60 + shipping. I recently got a soft backpac and donut for travel and could use that for my cold water dives instead of the BC. PM me if interested.

I would predict that most of what you buy today you won't still have in two years.
I always recommend that new divers rent gear for the first year or two and spend a lot of time talking to the other divers on the boat. Since dive operators don't make a lot of money by killing people I've found most rental gear to be serviceable. The more experience you have diving the better you'll be able to define your needs.

I've got a DIN Atomic Z2 1st and 2nd that i have around 20 dives on that i'd give a raging deal on if you're interested. PM me.

but would love advice on purchasing gear I can grow with.

Can of worms in this forum :rofl3: :popcorn:

Practically all dive gear is good these days

Check what your friends and buddies use, ask if you can borrow some gear to try such as regs or fins and BC / BPW if they fit.

Ask your local dive shop (LDS) what they use for rental, usually it's bulletproof to a certain degree of abuse and designed to last a long time, it's not as though regs etc are going to go through a new tech revolution like mobile phones 12 months down the road.

Try stuff on before buying if possible especially BCs, each manufacturer has their own idea of what S M and L mean.

My first BC lasted over 500 dives, and my first reg over 700 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom