New diver looking for good Costa Rica experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsarche

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,
I'm an inexperienced AOW diver heading with my family to Costa Rica late next month. We'll have five days in Playa Grande just south of Playa Flamingo in the northwestern part of the country and I'm looking for a great first non-training dive experience.

I've reached out to the Pacific Coast Dive Center by email a couple of times, looking to book Catalinas Islands scuba for me and snorkeling for the rest of my family, but haven't heard back from them. I like the idea of going with them because they offer boat trips for snorkeling that would be fun for my sons and wife while I go diving.

This is the last week of December (probably the 27th and 28th). I'd really appreciate hearing about what kind of conditions I could expect, some recommendations on a dive operator to work with and anything else that may be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi jsarche,
I was diving Playas del Coco region (including the Catalinas Islands) Dec 20, 2014-Jan 9, 2015. For the most accurate water temps I recommend you contact your dive op a few weeks before you leave, but even then the water temps in this area can drop from day to day and even dive site to dive site on the same day. Last Xmas was perhaps unseasonably warm. I had 80 F for 2 days in late Dec, 79 F for several days in early Jan, and other days were 75 and 71/72 F. I went expecting 70 F or lower.

I dove with both Rich Coast Divers and Rocket Frog Divers -- both had lots of new and infrequent divers on their boats, including some folks doing training dives. If you identify yourself as inexperienced/newly certified you should be fine.

Many dive ops will offer snorkelling opportunities for non-divers (especially if there is more than 1 snorkeller on board) but I would specifically ask about this as you're inquiring about peak holiday season.

In terms of diving conditions, I'm not sure where you certified, but expect lower to low vis with the possibility of current and/or surge.

Hope you have a great trip.

A quick update: I had four dives in two days with Pacific Coast Dive Center, and just want to give a shout-out to Micaela, Charlie, Marcelo and all the rest of the crew! My wife and sons snorkeled from the same boat, so we were able to stay together, and their guides and mine were great about pointing out interesting wildlife - a few sharks, spotted eagle rays, tons of smaller animals.

The snorkelers loved it, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience for my first non-training dives. A confident, competent crew, good equipment and near-perfect water conditions at Las Catalinas made for a really memorable experience. I'd recommend them without hesitation.

Back
Top Bottom