New diver in the South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanApprentice

Registered
Reaction score
First I'd like to say hi to everyone and give you a little information about myself. I'm currently awaiting my certification trip in January for both open water and nitrox. I live in the Chattanooga area and I'm interested in studying and eventually diving some of the cities flooded by the TVA. These are 100' plus dive sites with hi-silt, low-viz conditions and temps below 50 degrees. Needless to say I'll need quite a bit more training and experience, but I would love to talk to anyone with experience in these kinds of conditions or that live in the chattanooga area. Looking forward to learning with everyone.

Welcome! You sound like me with my passion for Great Lakes shipwrecks! :)

Welcome! You sound like me with my passion for Great Lakes shipwrecks! :)
Shipwreck diving is something I'm planning on pursuing actually! I can't wait! Have you dove any of them in your area? What is it like?

Shipwreck diving is something I'm planning on pursuing actually! I can't wait! Have you dove any of them in your area? What is it like?

I actually got certified in early October, a bit too late to go out on Lake Michigan this season. I'll be out plenty next season. There are shallow wrecks out of Hammond, IN, that are great for newbies. Next July, I'll be up on Thunder Bay off Alpena,MI in Lake Huron. Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary has some nice wrecks 60' and shallower. I've been reading about the GL shipwrecks for years.

I actually got certified in early October, a bit too late to go out on Lake Michigan this season. I'll be out plenty next season. There are shallow wrecks out of Hammond, IN, that are great for newbies. Next July, I'll be up on Thunder Bay off Alpena,MI in Lake Huron. Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary has some nice wrecks 60' and shallower. I've been reading about the GL shipwrecks for years.
I'll have to look into those. Ive got my OW certification dives in Jan and a trip to Tulum in march but after that it'll be mostly local dives for a good while. I would love to hear about your dives in July, please keep me informed.

Have fun with this. I spend lots of time with this. Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary Shipwreck Mooring Map. Click on "click here to learn more" for pics, video (some wrecks), and other info about a wreck.

Story Map Tour

Technically Butler is the only town ever flooded by the TVA (at least according to this site) The Butler Museum, TN - Did Butler, TN really Drown?

One other nearby is Lake Jocassee in NW South Carolina. Possibly one of your local dive shops does weekend trips there - there's an extensive thread about it in our SE US forum. Lake Jocassee update - I believe there's a submerged graveyard there.
I've read up on both. The TVA also flooded Old Hixion where Chickamauga dam sits now. I also have heard of Watauga Lake having an underwater city. I'll continue my research and post what I find in the upcoming months. I will check out that forum though. Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated!

Don't forget you're less than a full day's drive to the FL panhandle/E. Alabama. If you decide on that at some point I could advise on where to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom