New Diver in the Nashville, TN area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dewayne

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello group, I'm a newly PADI certified open water diver and looking to get more experience. I Living in land locked TN, I am trying to explore some of the local dive sites quarry and other types. If your in this area and looking for diving partners, please feel free to reply. Happy diving....
Dewayne York

HI! Welcome to the site. If you make it up to Pennyroyal quarry in Hopkinsville, KY this summer, Look me up, I'd be glad to give you a tour. I am typically there 3/5 weekends during the summer months. I drive a red pick- up truck with a tall bed cap on it. When I am not teaching, I typically dive a rebreather.

HI! Welcome to the site. If you make it up to Pennyroyal quarry in Hopkinsville, KY this summer, Look me up, I'd be glad to give you a tour. I am typically there 3/5 weekends during the summer months. I drive a red pick- up truck with a tall bed cap on it. When I am not teaching, I typically dive a rebreather.
I've read alot of post about Pennroyal and looking forward to diving. If you don't mind have a newbie (but certified) along,I would love to meet up there some time. I live in west Nashville so I'm only about 1.5 hours away according to google. Feel free drop me a line new time you think your going to go. Looks like they open up around end of may. Hope to hear from you then. In the mean time. Be safe out there...
Dewayne York
dewayne_york@yahoo.com

Locally, instructor Marcos Tramell with a group called Parrot Island Divers and ScubaNashville.com leads some dive trips, and I assume still leases a quarry in the Nashville area. You may already be familiar with that option.

I second the recommendation for Pennyroyal Scuba Center Blue Springs Resort. Onsite dive shop, air and nitrox fills, gear rental (but not hood and gloves, which you'd need below the 2nd thermocline if you dive deep), and different depth levels - a broad plateau about 20 feet deep with a lot of sunken attractions, an area right off from the picnic tables where you can drop down 80 - 100 feet deep or so (with a ridge maybe 50 feet or so, with a sunken white van & other stuff), and I think somewhere out in it you can get maybe 120 - 130 feet deep?

Richard.

Pennyroyal is open weekends now. I'm not familiar with the spring water temp.s, but over in the summer, I tend to find the surface warm, the first thermocline ~ 15-20 feet deep, where I need a 5 mm wetsuit, and the 2nd thermocline varies but maybe 50 feet or more? Below that expect water in the mid-40s, and plan on hood (or it's like sticking your head in ice water), thick full wetsuit (or dry), gloves and thick scuba boots. Your exposed face will hurt less once it numbs up.

So the quarry offers you shallow and deep, warm and cold water diving. Good place to train and a major regional draw for classes from area cities.

Richard.

As Richard points out, Pennyroyal is currently open on weekends right now. At Memorial Day Weekend They are open Wed.- Sun. (Closed Mon & Tues) Through Labor Day. I don't mind diving with beginners at all,.. I do it all the time. I will just have to go through my equipment & procedures with you before the dive. If I am not teaching, I may be down Memorial day weekend, to sort out my equipment for an up coming cave diving trip. I live in Owensboro KY & work (Instructor & repair tech) for a dive shop in Evansville, IN. Both are 1.5 hrs away from Pennyroyal. Current surface temps are in the low 50's right now & warming slowly. The shallow waters really start getting nice in July. They are at their peak in late Aug- mid Oct. If you are on Facebook, look me up, Or feel free to PM me here. I'm always looking to talk diving! :D

Pennyroyal is open weekends now. I'm not familiar with the spring water temp.s, but over in the summer, I tend to find the surface warm, the first thermocline ~ 15-20 feet deep, where I need a 5 mm wetsuit, and the 2nd thermocline varies but maybe 50 feet or more? Below that expect water in the mid-40s, and plan on hood (or it's like sticking your head in ice water), thick full wetsuit (or dry), gloves and thick scuba boots. Your exposed face will hurt less once it numbs up.

So the quarry offers you shallow and deep, warm and cold water diving. Good place to train and a major regional draw for classes from area cities.

Richard.
Thanks Richard. I saw on one of the websites for a local shop stating that a group is meeting up there on May 27th. I'm going to try to make it, I still have discuss it with the wifie since it Memorial Day weekend.

As Richard points out, Pennyroyal is currently open on weekends right now. At Memorial Day Weekend They are open Wed.- Sun. (Closed Mon & Tues) Through Labor Day. I don't mind diving with beginners at all,.. I do it all the time. I will just have to go through my equipment & procedures with you before the dive. If I am not teaching, I may be down Memorial day weekend, to sort out my equipment for an up coming cave diving trip. I live in Owensboro KY & work (Instructor & repair tech) for a dive shop in Evansville, IN. Both are 1.5 hrs away from Pennyroyal. Current surface temps are in the low 50's right now & warming slowly. The shallow waters really start getting nice in July. They are at their peak in late Aug- mid Oct. If you are on Facebook, look me up, Or feel free to PM me here. I'm always looking to talk diving! :D
Tammy, thanks to you too for all the info. I'm looking forward to getting out there either at the opening or as soon as possible. I only have a 3 mm wet suite for now, so it sound like I will be renting something until I can get my cold water kit. I am on facebook and I can send you a friends request on Facebook if you don't mind.

Tammy, thanks to you too for all the info. I'm looking forward to getting out there either at the opening or as soon as possible. I only have a 3 mm wet suite for now, so it sound like I will be renting something until I can get my cold water kit. I am on facebook and I can send you a friends request on Facebook if you don't mind.
Don't mind at all. I am a part time instructor for the quarry also (kind of a "pinch hitter" for them). Look for Tammy Storm in Owensboro, KY on FB.

Back
Top Bottom