New Diver in NW Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGaDiver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey y’all. New to the board & diving. Had been interested in diving for several year, then I became friends with a guy who’s been diving for several years (and a fellow member of the board). The more he talked about it, the more I wanted to get my certification and dive in.

Certified in Nassau this past November. Going on my first dive trip this weekend to Panama City, then Turks & Caicos at the end of September.

Welcome from a NWGA neighbor. Congrats on your certification! Enjoy your PCB dive trip, but don't let our distance from the ocean prevent you from getting wet on the regular! Plenty of quarry diving to be had nearby...

Welcome to SB from a Hotlantan. Panama City is good for keeping your skills sharp, but don't get discouraged if you don't see much interesting stuff. Your Turks & Caicos trip should make up for it.

Welcome from a NWGA neighbor. Congrats on your certification! Enjoy your PCB dive trip, but don't let our distance from the ocean prevent you from getting wet on the regular! Plenty of quarry diving to be had nearby...
Thanks. Where ‘bouts in NWGA? I’m about 20mins south of Chattanooga, close to the Chickamauga Battle Field.
Not sure how I feel about diving quarries (that’s a lie. I know exactly how I feel), but I may need to overcome my anxiety in order gain valuable time and experience.

Welcome to SB from a Hotlantan. Panama City is good for keeping your skills sharp, but don't get discouraged if you don't see much interesting stuff. Your Turks & Caicos trip should make up for it.
Thanks, Lorenzoid. At this point, I’m just happy to be getting out there again.

Welcome. Who are you diving with in Turks & Caicos? Land-based or liveaboard boat?

Richard.
Thanks for the Welcome, Rich.
I’m taking my wife to the Beaches resort for her 50th bday. It’s all-inclusive, including the diving. Their dive facilities/staff seem to have mixed reviews. I’m considering paying to go out with a shop independent of the resort.

Thanks. Where ‘bouts in NWGA? I’m about 20mins south of Chattanooga, close to the Chickamauga Battle Field.
Not sure how I feel about diving quarries (that’s a lie. I know exactly how I feel), but I may need to overcome my anxiety in order gain valuable time and experience.

PM'd you!

I’m about 20mins south of Chattanooga, close to the Chickamauga Battle Field.
Welcome to the forums! I'm in Knoxville and there are 2 quarries for diving between Knoxville and Chattanooga: Philadelphia Quarry (in Philadelphia, TN) and Loch Low Minn (in Athens, TN). I tend to prefer Philadelphia Quarry, and they have reasonable rental prices should you need to rent tanks or other gear (they have it all there, including wetsuits).

Quarries are definitely not the Caribbean, but they are helpful for those of us not near the coast in getting more comfortable in the water and improving buoyancy and air consumption, practicing with DSMBs, etc.

Have fun in PCB. The viz there is usually not nearly as good as the Bahamas, but if you can get past the viz there can be good things to see, both small and big (such as Goliath Groupers).

Back
Top Bottom