New diver in Brooklyn, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salamandra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi ScubaBoard!

I've been reading obsessively for a couple of weeks and thought I'd actually join.

I spontaneously did a DSD experience on what was meant to be a family snorkeling vacation and fell in love.

I'm trying to figure out how much diving I can afford and where. I'm working within the constraints of my income (which I thought was decent for a solo person... before I started scuba diving), my tiny apartment with almost no storage space, and not having a car.

I'd love to connect with:
  • other teachers on the NYC DOE schedule who might want to plan travel/dives together;
  • any car-less NYC folks who have found a way to make local scuba diving work and can share their secrets;
  • anyone who might be in Roatan in July 2021, which will be my next diving trip that I am so excited for.
I've been really enjoying watching some scuba-related YouTube videos (Mostly Divers Ready and Discovery Divers Tokyo so far) and would also love other recommendations.

Hi Salamandra. Welcome to Scuba Board!

No car is difficult for divers. Your more likely looking at renting or uber.

As for gear storage renting tanks will help but might be hard to find the steels that us cold water divers prefer and it's another uber ride.

Welcome and let us know what you figure out.

'sup Brooklyn.

You probly know by now but flights to hot places are cheapest at the end of August. Cozumel is a short 5 hour flight and sooooo worth it.

Welcome from a native of Yonkers. There is a shore guide for the area--Beach Diving shore, NY/NJ (something like that). You can find it online. Once in a while something is outdated, so check before you go.
There is an OK site near Rockaway called Beach 8th Street that I did years ago. It is on the back side of Rockaway Inlet.
Yeah, no car is a problem. Probably easier to fly someplace than mess around the NYC area (CT, NJ, etc.).
You really don't have to go broke with scuba equipment-- get stuff that fits and works and keep it maintained. No need to buy the latest gadgets. Let us know how it all works out.

Try to get on the NY Aquarium scuba maintenance crew. I talked to the boss over the phone (a long time ago), but he lost me @ "we want ambassadors to the Aquarium, not just people who want to swim with the animals."
As a teacher, you might be more suited to ambassador-ism. If you can get on "the team" you can just take the subway to front door of the aquarium. I think they provide regs and stuff.

I'm trying to figure out how much diving I can afford and where. I'm working within the constraints of my income (which I thought was decent for a solo person... before I started scuba diving), my tiny apartment with almost no storage space, and not having a car.

Welcome...to the forum and the fiscal realities of scuba diving. Oh, and get ready for those times using scarce vacation time causes an 'opportunity cost' decision between a dive trip and traveling to visit loved ones.

Rather than drown you in a pile of options, I'll put a few economy ideas out there.

1.) Cozumel has a rep. for fine diving and budget total trip cost in the U.S./Caribbean region. A consistently well-reviewed dive op. (that IIRC includes gear rental in package cost) is Dive with Martin. A good budget (though not the cheapest) lodging option is Casa Mexicana. A reputable comprehensive option is Scuba Club Cozumel (which also has shore diving).
My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

2.) I really liked Key Largo. Rainbow Reef Dive Center let me pack in 4 dives/day. Land-based hotels often cost little more for extra people, so take a buddy or two and divide room cost.
Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

3.) Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan is a popular budget option. CocoView Dive Resort costs a bit more in my estimation from studying the matter, but you can pack in more diving if you turn out to be a 'high dive count' person.

4.) When you're ready, Olympus Dive Center out of Morehead City, NC, has a dive lodge that could keep costs decent, and you're looking at fairly big shark diving on off-shore wrecks.
Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

5.) Live-aboard options can help - Blackbeards cruises or the Juliet out of the Bahamas, or the Bahamas Aggressor (if you catch a sale (watch around November, maybe) at > 30% off - and be careful you don't pick a Tiger Beach itinerary, because you're likely not ready for that yet...no offense).

6.) Bonaire is great but airfare can be a killer. I recommend going with a group your first time. I did do a budget solo trip to Dive Hut.
My Research Notes for Bonaire - https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/my-research-note-for-bonaire.586972
Bonaire at Dive Hut 2012 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bonaire/432576-solo-diver-dive-hut.html

Please post a trip report from your Roatan trip.

I have a lot of gear in a small 600sqft apartment. I’m a minimalist other than diving gear. It all depends on your priorities. If scuba is important enough to you, you’ll find a way.

If you’re just diving tropical, you can get away with having your own mask/snorkel/fins for a while, and maybe even your own dive computer, just renting everything at destination. Mask fit is very personal.

If you’re diving locally, you’re probably going to have to cough up the cash for gear eventually.

Thank you so much everybody, I'm feeling very welcomed :)

That is a fascinating tip about the aquarium. I will need to look into that. Thanks divad!

drrich2, those are great tips and I'm going to dive into reading all your notes. As a solo traveller I love the idea of going with a group. So far none of the group trips I saw fit into school breaks, but I will keep an eye out.

Do you think it's really worth it to have and travel with my own fins? I was thinking that's also something I could skip for now.

Marie13, that's encouraging! Also I wouldn't guess that a 600 ft apartment would be considered small! But I guess depending on the layout you really might not have much usable space.

TMHeimer and formernuke thank you for the local tips! It sounds like local diving carless might be a real challenge, or at least a long term goal.

Boundforelsewhere - ooh I will keep an eye on those late August flights. I wouldn't think it would be deal time with everyone trying to come home for the start of the school year but it can't hurt to look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom