New diver in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Svetlana_S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm a really new diver. Just got my licence in august. Flying to Belize end of November. Will have a chance to do one dive in San Pedro and then will have more time in Dangriga Town staying at Yok Ha hotel.
What would be the best diving place for me and who would be a good dive shop to go with to get the best for my level and enjoy my new activity?
Also should I get my own regulator/computer (at least) or I can trust the rental stuff there?
Any advise is really appreciated!

Hey, welcome to scuba diving!

I haven't been to San Pedro but it's a very popular destination for divers so I'm sure you'll get some great advice.

As far as Dangriga, there aren't any dive ops based there afaik. But there are several in Hopkins, which is just down the road. Splash Dive Center in Placencia used to have a satellite office in Hopkins but I don't think they do any more. I would try to hook up with Hamanasi, but I don't know if they take divers who aren't staying at their resort. Both of these really have their act together. If neither of these options work, you could ask them for a referral to a local shop. And it's possible someone has a satellite office in Dangriga, but I'd be surprised.

As far as being new to this, the main thing is to not let your ego get in the way. We were all new divers once upon a time. So just tell them that you're new. They deal with new divers all the time and will be happy to accommodate you.

They should all have trustworthy rental gear. Although I'm a fan of having my own gear, I think it's a good idea for new divers to rent theirs while they figure out what they need and like. I knew I was committed to diving and bought a lot of gear right away and ended up replacing it all within a couple of years.

Hey, welcome to scuba diving!

I haven't been to San Pedro but it's a very popular destination for divers so I'm sure you'll get some great advice.

As far as Dangriga, there aren't any dive ops based there afaik. But there are several based in Hopkins, which is just down the road. If possible, I would try to hook up with Hamanasi, but I don't know if they take divers who aren't staying at their resort. They really have their act together. Splash Dive Center in Placencia used to have a satellite office in Hopkins but I don't think they do any more. You could contact them to find out. If neither of these options work, you could ask them for a referral to a local shop. And it's possible someone has a satellite office in Dangriga, but I'd be surprised.

The main thing is to not let your ego get in the way. We were all new divers once upon a time. So just tell them that you're new at this. They deal with new divers all the time and will be happy to accommodate you.

They should all have trustworthy rental gear. Although I'm a fan of having my own gear, I think it's a good idea for new divers to rent theirs while they figure out what they need and like. I knew I was committed to diving and bought a lot of gear right away and ended up replacing it all within a couple of years.

Hamanasi has picked me up on one of the Cayes on the way to their dive site of the day, though they may have a "deal" with the place I stay. I suspect they'd let you go on board.

Dangriga is really not a good dive town. There's nothing close to town that is a reasonable shore dive and the bar makes it less than ideal for getting bigger boats in and out of the river routinely. (It can be done, but it's not the place I'd want to set up a dive operation....) If you can, I'd head further south to Hopkins or Placencia. (In fact, if I were planning to retire to Belize, I'd choose one of those towns.)

Hamanasi and Splash are both good outfits in south-central Belize.

Thank you for your advises! I checked with the hotel and it offers some diving options but the prices are sky high :(
I like your option on investing to gear - makes sense! I will follow it.

Hamanasi has picked me up on one of the Cayes on the way to their dive site of the day, though they may have a "deal" with the place I stay. I suspect they'd let you go on board.

Dangriga is really not a good dive town. There's nothing close to town that is a reasonable shore dive and the bar makes it less than ideal for getting bigger boats in and out of the river routinely. (It can be done, but it's not the place I'd want to set up a dive operation....) If you can, I'd head further south to Hopkins or Placencia. (In fact, if I were planning to retire to Belize, I'd choose one of those towns.)

Hamanasi and Splash are both good outfits in south-central Belize.

Thank you! I think I will have to return then. It's just my diving career started after I planned this trip long time ago. Actually this trip triggered my diving road :)

Happy to help. Dangriga has some fun things to do. There's a Garifuna museum there, and if you can do a tour of the Marie Sharpe's factory. It's worth it, especially if you can catch a glimpse of Marie. These days, her kids and grandkids mostly run it, and they're really sweet with Marie.

Happy to help. Dangriga has some fun things to do. There's a Garifuna museum there, and if you can do a tour of the Marie Sharpe's factory. It's worth it, especially if you can catch a glimpse of Marie. These days, her kids and grandkids mostly run it, and they're really sweet with Marie.
Sounds like a plan! thanks!

Hi, I'm a really new diver. Just got my licence in august. Flying to Belize end of November. Will have a chance to do one dive in San Pedro and then will have more time in Dangriga Town staying at Yok Ha hotel.
What would be the best diving place for me and who would be a good dive shop to go with to get the best for my level and enjoy my new activity?
Also should I get my own regulator/computer (at least) or I can trust the rental stuff there?
Any advise is really appreciated!

I dive with Belize Pro Divers in San Pedro every year and have always recommended them. Great people, professional shop. I would send my daughter to dive with them alone. Just a great bunch of people.

I dive with Belize Pro Divers in San Pedro every year and have always recommended them. Great people, professional shop. I would send my daughter to dive with them alone. Just a great bunch of people.
Thank you! Will call them

What would be the dive to go? I realize Blue hole is not for the beginners. If it is one time to choose. Where would you go from San Pedro?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom