New Diver Going to Great Barrier Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bentleyfam26

Registered
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm going to GBR on a Mike Ball outing for 7 days -- Yongala wreck and Coral Sea. I'm a new diver (New Jersey USA), traveling by myself, and have a few questions:

--I'm taking octopus, dive computer, fins, mask and snorkel, and renting suit and BCD there. What's the best way to pack my gear to take with me? Should I ship it?

--What kind of spares should I take?

--If you've used Mike Ball expeditions, do you have any recommendations for items that'll make a week on board more comfortable?

Thanks in advance ---

bentleyfam26:
Folks,

--I'm taking octopus, dive computer, fins, mask and snorkel, and renting suit and BCD there. What's the best way to pack my gear to take with me? Should I ship it?

--What kind of spares should I take?

--If you've used Mike Ball expeditions, do you have any recommendations for items that'll make a week on board more comfortable?

Be aware, that Australia operators are likely to be more critical of your medical statement and/or conditions than USA operators. I dove out of Cairns and Port Douglas, and I was questioned very thoroughly each time.

There was a SB post from someone who was denied any diving because he did not have medical approval from an Australian doctor for a medical condition. I tried to find the post for you, but couldn't locate it.

One Australian operator's website states:

"For divers not under instruction, you would also need a dive medical or a letter from a dive medical doctor approving your scuba diving activity if you have any of the following: asthma, insulin dependent diabetes, epilepsy, heart or lung problems. Note: all medicals must comply with the relevant Australian requirements."​

Now for the fun stuff. I pack my dive gear in a plain medium-large piece of luggage -- I don't want to advertise that the contents are scuba gear. I have had good luck so far, and haven't lost anything. I take the dive computer as carry-on, and check the rest. Most airlines have a requirement that scuba regulators are transported as checked baggage. Also, check the baggage weight limits to avoid paying excess weight fees. If you don't already have it and you're the worrisome type, you may wish to get equipment insurance. I wouldn't recommend shipping your gear.

Since I only did day dives, I only carried my usual spares (spare mask and the save-a-dive kit). Ask the Mike Ball folks what they recommend.

I don't have experience with Mike Ball. However, I was VERY PLEASED with the caliber of service provided by the dive operators.

Good luck, and have fun. The GBR will blow your mind!

Regards,
Carbon

Welcome to Scuba Board! Great to see you found us :wink:

bentleyfam26:
--I'm taking octopus, dive computer, fins, mask and snorkel, and renting suit and BCD there. What's the best way to pack my gear to take with me? Should I ship it?---
I assume you mean your regulator set, not just the octopus?

I pack my stuff in a normal suitcase - not one that says DIVER - on it. If I am short of space I ditch the fins...the hire charge for those should be minimal and Mike Ball I would expect has good gear.

I wouldn't ship it. There are problems with customs etc on this end a lot of times and shipping is s-l-o-w unless you pay an arm & a leg.

bentleyfam26:
--What kind of spares should I take?---
If you have gear that takes something non-standard, take spares for it. A spare mask strap is always a good idea; fin straps if you are using open heels.

bentleyfam26:
Mike Ball is known for being comfortable so I doubt you'll need much. It's always nice to have some little snacks from home...even if you don't eat them they are nice to share and to hand to the crew. Hershey's chocolate and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are two of the favourites I've found!

For more info on Mike Ball trips you can do a search with the Advanced function and/or check out the Australia section of this board just a bit farther down the page.

Have a great time!

I've got a 3 mil full body suit. I've been advised that its a good idea to use a full suit on the GBR in January due to the chance of jellyfish stings. Will a 3 mil suit be too hot? Is a full suit needed?

Thanks,

Terry

bentleyfam26:
I've got a 3 mil full body suit. I've been advised that its a good idea to use a full suit on the GBR in January due to the chance of jellyfish stings. Will a 3 mil suit be too hot? Is a full suit needed?

Here's the word on jellyfish stings from Pro-Dive, in Cairns (www.prodive-cairns.com.au):

I have heard about the stinging jellyfish. Can I still go diving?

Stingers, also known as box jellyfish, are coastal dwellers and are never seen on the reef. They breed in the estuaries and live their life on the shoreline, therefore do not pose a threat to divers on the reef. The jellyfish season is from November to April. Swimming enclosures are provided at local beaches for people to swim in.

bentleyfam26:

I always use a full suit. When I was a beginning diver, minding my own business, some fool crashed down on top of me from behind. I was wearing a shorty. I cut my knee on the coral, and it was singularly unpleasant for a long time.

January is mid summer, and I am not sure what the temperature will be. I wore a full 3mm full suit there in winter, and I was fine. Everyone else was wearing at least 5 mm, and they were happy they were. When you are on a liveaboard, you tend to get colder as the trip goes along. What was comfy on your first dive might not do it for you on the third day.

I vote for wearing the 3 mm full. You can always pull down the neck and let a little cool water in if you are hot.

Back
Top Bottom