New Diver getting fins wet in Oahu - then coming straight for KONA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barrod

Contributor
Reaction score
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be landing in Honolulu and staying 2 nights in the Hilton Village up in that rainbow tower on Waikiki to chill on jetlag like i've never felt before - (flying non-stop from Dulles Washington D.C.)

I hope to do a quick dive on 5/13 in Oahu - I need to make it a good first dive!

Starting on 5/14 I'll be just south of Kona for 7 days - I'm trying to log some serious time diving - Then I go up to the northern Kohala coast for another 4 days at the Fairmont Orchid.

I've researched the dive ops and need to decide between KHD and Jacks I think.... KHD says no blackwater dive for me - but I want to do it if I'm comfortable - any reason a new diver can't after like 5-10 dives?

Just want to introduce myself to anyone going to be diving around that time - I'd love to meet some new people!

Barrod

Barrod, you should be very careful about doing a dive on 5/13 and then hopping on a plane and being on another island on 5/14. Make sure you have at the very least 12 hours between the end of your dive and the beginning of your flight. 24 hours would be much better. Usually, I build in a non-dive day where ever I'm diving in order to out-gas before taking a flight.

Barrod......

I'm with the Big Island guys. I think that doing a blackwater dive poses some additional challenges that are outside of normal recreational diving. Here's our FAQ page for our Dark Side Dive here on Oahu:

FAQ | Dark Side OahuDark Side Oahu

Stoked you will be diving in Hawaii!

G

My checkout dives are going to be at Lake Millbrook in Haymarket, VA. the last week in April - I read that a bunch of zebra mussels were found back in 2009 and eradicated. Since then it's gotten very murky - I'll probably be used to it by the end of that long weekend!

Barrod,

For the blackwater dive (Pelagic Magic) with us, we ask that you have done a night dive before, have done at least 10 dives, and have been diving within the last 12 months. We generally take up to 6 divers so it stays very manageable. It's a really cool experience. We actually are looking at small stuff....though many people assume we are looking for big things. Of course every now and then a big thing finds us! But it's really the small stuff for the most part. Enjoy your diving!

Mahalo, Angela

Hi Angela

Just for curiosity - I see no problem having the time to log 10 dives - I hope to do more than that by the time I leave Kona. The two barriers to the possibility of a blackwater dive for me (been diving in the last 12 months and having completed a prior night dive). I'm guessing you consider the prior night dive an evening manta dive?

I plan to play it by ear. If the DM's that I work with ask me if I want to jump in on a blackwater dive after they get to know me, and I feel comfortable I'll go for it.

Does Jack's do pickup runs for dives a mile south of Kona?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom