New diver from Arkansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devojrx7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son and I got certified last summer. I’ve been meaning to get some equipment and do some more diving, but I’ve not had the chance yet. My buddy and his daughter got certified with us. He bought HOG gear to get started. I’ve had a bit of information overload when trying to decide what to get for me and my son which is why I’ve not bought anything or been diving again since the class. I’m worried that we are going to forget everything we learned if I wait much longer, but everyone I talk to gives me different advice on what I should get. This forum was recommended to try to help me sort it all out. Thanks for having me.

Welcome. You will get divergent advice here as well, sorry:). Though it does tend in a certain direction.

What kind of diving do you plan? Local? Holiday tropics? Mostly that affects thermal protection and amount of BC lift.
Why diving?
How much diving per year do you anticipate? Total dives each. All one trip? Many separate weekends?
What do you see your diving being in 1, 2, 5, 10 years?
What did you think of your friend’s gear? The style of the gear.

When regulators need periodic service, do you want to drop that off locally or does mailing it seem fine?
How old is your son?
Did you learn with a local shop? What did you think of them?

I would skim some similar threads in the Diving into new gear section to see some common dimensions of picking gear and what kinds of options there are. Diving Into New Gear

Also, what kind of current budget are you looking at?

I could tell you what I dive, but it may not be right for your situation.

Welcome from SW Missouri!!

DW

I plan on lots of lake diving locally and some occasional travel with tropical diving. I’d like to start spear fishing locally as well. My son is 12, but almost as big as I am. I’m 6’1” 180lbs and he’s just a bit smaller. We could use the same size BCD. I’m 45 min from the lake.

The shop we trained at sells Scuba Pro and they recommended
Hydros Pro BCD, Aladdin one matrix computer, mk11/c370 regulator. They said if I got 2 sets of this it would be $1778 each plus tax.

That is a big boy, wow. I’m not one of the experts, I’d post your question over in Diving into new gear, I should have suggested that before.

Some here like the Hydros, tho report it as rather expensive for what it provides. Many, and I, like a backplate and wing. It provides lots of customizability, is very durable, and also far cheaper than the hydros. Many companies make them and the parts are broadly interchangeable across companies. There are variations within BP/W, but they all do broadly the same thing. The beauty is if you would rather some part of them were different, you can swap out just that part for another from many companies. If the plate is steel, it also puts weight along your back where it helps with trim. Companies that make them: DiveRite, Dive gear express, Halcyon, XDeep, Deep6, vintage double hose, hog and several more.

I’ve not heard that computer discussed. Some well liked computers are the deep six excursion as a great basic computer, and recently the just released shearwater peregrine. (And the higher end shearwaters are largely the gold standard, but they may be more than you need.) If I were upgrading, I would get a shearwater.

ScubaPro makes good (or great) regulators. Another good company is the deep six mentioned above, deep6gear.com, they are a further iteration of the hog that your friend may have. Many here really like them. I’ve two regs from them which are as nice as my scubapro mk25 s600. Mostly, you mail them in for service, which is why I asked that, or you can get trained to service yourself if you like.

Welcome from NW Arkansas.

Great to support your local dive shop. They probably need more people willing to drop $4k on gear these days so definitely make the buy. Better go ahead and get the fins, mask, snorkel, wetsuit, boots, gloves and hood too. Make it an even $5k.

On the other hand, I just wonder - you got certified a year ago and have never been diving since right? So is it likely this is another momentary bit of excitement about diving that won’t turn into a real passion? How much do you expect that kit is going to cost on a per dive basis if you assume a five year payoff vs just renting? If you are truly going to be diving at least once a month, probably makes sense to invest in some gear.

If it was me, I would start with wetsuit, fins, mask and maybe one entry level computer, mostly because I don’t want to wear someone else’s pee-pants.

good luck and hope you start diving.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

I'd recommend renting or borrowing each of the main 3 types of BCD at least once, and see what you like better. That would be a jacket style, a back-inflate style (like the hydros pro), and a backplate/wing style. You mentioned your friend went with HOG -- they sell a lot of backplate/wing style BC's, but also the other kinds.

Personally, I went with a backplate/wing. Because it's streamlined, cheaper and modular, meaning that you can disassemble it and replace or upgrade parts yourself with no training or special tools. Supporting your local dive shop is a wonderful thing, but what you mentioned sounds a little pricey to me. A solid BCD + reg set + computer can be had for more like $1200 new. Also, dive gear depreciates a lot -- used gear in good shape can be found for half or less.

If I had equipment I’m pretty sure I’d go more. My schedule is pretty crazy with a mix of night, mid, and day shifts including weekends. My buddy was smart and stayed in the Air Force and is already retired, so he can go pretty much anytime that I’m off. My issue is usually planning. If I haven’t planned it out ahead I can’t just run down and rent stuff, 30 minutes in the opposite direction of the lake, on a whim easily. If I had equipment ready to go there are many times when I could just jump in the truck and go for the morning, or afternoon.

I’m leaning towards the backplate wing setup, but I’m not sure if I should go for the steel. In class I was completely neutral with their equipment without weight in rash guard and shorts. I’m down 30 lbs of fat since then so I’m possibly negative. If I let out half of my breath I can sit on the bottom of my pool. Would the steel possibly be too much weight?

I have a buddy that is giving me and my friend 3 tanks so we are covered there.

I’m considering getting just the octo from my local shop, I do want to support the local guys, and then getting everything else from somewhere else. Is the regulator the shop recommended the one in the ScubaPro line I should go with? Should I just get a different brand regulator because the ScubaPro stuff is over priced?

I ordered the deep six 3 mil suit that was recommended here.

Steel is usually the choice particularly if you have any suit on. If you are that close to negative AL or cutout steel might be better. It also gives you more flexibility in where you allocate ballast in terms of trim. Just please do work to trim yourself out by putting lead where you need it. Life diving is much easier if you float horizontal when not actively doing anything. More drag vertically so depth control is easier, less drag and oriented to kick in the direction you likely want to move, horizontally.
On BP/W basics, you might read the first parts of this: Beginners Guide To BP/W

One of our bigger guys, @tbone1004, might advise you more on plate sizes for being 6’1” 180.

Tanks play in as well. AL80s need about 4lb of lead to balance their buoyancy when near empty. Steels tanks are often negative when near empty. What tanks do you have?

For BP/W, you and son are likely identical in terms of plate, I think, so I'd just focus on a set for you, try it, then adapt when getting a separate set for him.

I would get your octo the same quality as your main second stage. It will be used in stress, you do not want lower quality adding to the stress.

All the SP regs are good. The hydros BC is thought over priced for what it is. The regs not as much, though something like the Deep6 is very good and less. But a reg from a local shop and locally serviced has extra value as well.

The second stage being adjustable (like the 370) is good. In the first stage, a low pressure port on the end, 5th port, is nice for hose routing but not essential. A turret is also nice but not essential. Sealed is also nice for less maintenance worry. I'm not sure if the mk11 is sealed. If I wanted the best, to me, SP now I'd likely get the Mk19 as it is sealed turret, and a G260 or D240. But the 370 seems to cover the basics as does the Mk11. The Mk2 is dirt simple reliable, but unbalanced so harder to breath as the tank reaches empty.

I think getting some from the shop is a good idea. Do they carry any other brands? Atomic Z2 seems nice among the less expensive that your shop might carry. Within the atomic line, the only differences are in the materials. Which makes little difference.
Best First Stage?

I've got the Deep6 7m suit though have not gotten it wet yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom