New Diver, did my homework. Confirm my gearlist please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been doing very sporadic non cert resort dives ever since I was 15, about 10 in total. Unfortunately I never got around to getting certified until just now even though I have wanted it since my first dive. Starting my Open water cert next weekend though. I want to start off in my own gear, especially because I will be making a trip shortly afterwards where I would especially prefer it. I have done my homework, read my reviews, tried the gear on. So far everything is a go. In my limited xp, I trust Oceanic, and prefer to stick to a single brand for the majority of my equipment. I think I have gotten a good buy as well, just need to pull the trigger. I also want stuff I wont outgrow for years to come, and am willing to pay for it to an extent. Here we go.

Delta 4.2/FDX10
Probe HLC
Alpha 8 Octo
Veo 1.0 (2+ is wayyy more expensive to upgrade)

What do you all think? I have learned in other applications to trust the forum experts.

Oceanic also owns Hollis so you have a huge selection.

I would look at the Hollis SS backplate SOLO and 40lbs S series wing with STA. Custom fit and can be used throughout your diving adventure. You only need two chest d-rings. I had a probe and exchanged for the above mentioned. A friend is still trying to sell his Probe.

Change the alpha 8 to a GT3 or get another Delta 4 non swiv. Also get a Din first stage with an yoke adapter.

Oh and wrist mount the VEO on your right wrist and a compass (when needed) on your left wrist. Use a glass SPG clipped off your left wait d-ring. During a dive you can route it under your left arm and clip it to your left chest d-ring for easy viewing during your dive.

Also consider checking out http://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/equipment/config.

Good luck.

Last edited:
That is a major question I have. Why buy an expensive Octo? What purpose does it serve? From what I have read, the Alpha 8 is a capable reg, even as a main. With almost 0 use and normal maintenance, why not save $300 and go cheap but decent?

Where do you see your diving going? The suggestions I made were based on you not outgrowing your gear. Also when diving a long hose/short hose config you donate your primary and switch to your backup. Not that you have to go long hose/short hose.

Also, It is much easier to breath from an adjustable reg, that is why you choose the Delta 4. As for zero use, you will use it for training, drills, and god forbid an emergency.

Alpha 8 goes for about $90 dollars while the GT3 is about $150. Oh, annual service costs the same for both.

That is a major question I have. Why buy an expensive Octo? What purpose does it serve? From what I have read, the Alpha 8 is a capable reg, even as a main. With almost 0 use and normal maintenance, why not save $300 and go cheap but dependable.

As a new diver, the gear you've bought is perfectly good and in no way cheap. It is unnecessary to go all tech/DIR/GUE' which is often expensive.

I would suggest diving the veo before diving. I have the veo 100 which I replaced after 6 dives because of the display. It's small and difficult to see the bar graphs on the sides while at depth. (My eyes are not what they used to be).

As a new diver? How long is he going to be a new diver? Buying gear that he will outgrow will end up costing more. There is nothing advanced about a bp/w. Just do a search for others that asked the same question.
There are backplate and wing systems for about the same or a little more as a new probe. The bp/w system isn't just for tech. I started with a similar setup that the op put together. The probe never fit right and always wanted to ride up. A bp/w will be a custom fit every time. Also, for a little more money he will get a better breathing reg as a second. He or his buddy will appreciate it if they have to spend some time at depth.

Like I wrote. I started with a similar setup he put together. I sought out a second opinion and was able to switch into gear I will never outgrow.

There is nothing wrong with the gear you have listed, and I understand your logic for wanting it before you start class. If you have not already, I would recommend discussing your plans with your instructor and LDS where you are getting certified and see if they are offering a great deal to students...

Any Entry level Nitrox capable computer is fine at this point, and as long as you have a computer interface(PC/MAC) it should last you a few years as you take more recreational courses.

I hope you enjoy your course and upcoming trip :) and we hope to see you in SE Asia one day!!!

Cheers,
Roger

That is a major question I have. Why buy an expensive Octo? What purpose does it serve? From what I have read, the Alpha 8 is a capable reg, even as a main. With almost 0 use and normal maintenance, why not save $300 and go cheap but decent?

Coz it may prevent an underwater problem becoming underwater disaster. It doesn't necessarily need to be "expensive" but it needs to be of good reliable quality and often, as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Hi:

Did you check out DiveNav.com, click on Products, Research, and compare your different dive computer options? I see there are a number of different Oceanic Veo models, for example (even within the Veo line, like whether a compass is included). Just to be sure what your tradeoffs are. But be mindful you can often find computers at places like Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online and Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com for a good deal less than list price, and sometimes in this forum's classifies section get good deals. I've seen Oceanic VT3's and ProPlus 2.1's go at good prices here.

Comparing Veo 1, 2 & 3's quickly, I see the 1 lacks audible alarms, lacks gauge mode (which some tech. divers use), and lacks 'PC Software,' which I take it means it doesn't log your dive profile in such a way you could download it to your computer for a permanent record of your dive profiles. None of which is necessary to dive, but you may well be buying another computer before long to get such features, and then it's not saving you money to start with this.

At ScubaToys, now, I see a Veo 1 for about $400, a Veo 2 for about $460 & on special the ProPlus 2.1 WITH COMPASS for about $600. Take a close look at what you get for the money!

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom