Question New Diver - Asian Location Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm planning to do get AOW certified next week in Taiwan. I'm leaving Taiwan in mid June and would like to do a little more diving and would love to hear suggestions from people here on possible dive sites. I don't have to fly back home to Canada for a few months so there's flexibility in terms of travel time.

Diving Experience: I'm about to get AOW certification - after certification, I will still have less than 15 dives under my belt. All of them have been warm water (Greece, Turks and Caicos, Taiwan). Would prefer no/mild current and sites where I can build my comfort level, experience. Am planning to do everything with guides/DM.

What I'd like to see/don't care about while diving: I think I'm pretty conventional for a new diver and like schools of fish, colorful coral, big animals like turtles, interesting rock formations; I don't mind sharks or macro but don't find them exciting enough to go sites mainly focused on those.

Other non-diving preferences, in order of importance: I don't think most of the good diving locations usually recommended match all of my preferences here and so I am looking for recommendations that would be the best compromise.
1. I would prefer an "easier" country to travel in (e.g., where it's safe, basic systems such as electricity/internet/public transportation consistently work well).​
2. Would love to combine the diving with another activity relatively close by such as awesome hiking, great historical/archaeological sites, good food​
3. It's not too expensive - e.g. a private room can be had for less than 100USD/night; hoping for less than $1500USD/week all in excluding flights​
Some locations I've considered/am considering:
  • Palau - serious contender since there is a direct flight from Taipei. Sightly concerned that the best sites might be better for someone more experienced
  • Philippines - under consideration, but a little concerned with how it matches the "other considerations"
  • Indonesia - I understand that some of the best sites are here, but my passport has some water damage and I've heard that they are very strict about that. As such, I think this is out
  • Okinawa - not sure how the diving is - would it be too similar to Taiwan?
Many Thanks in advance for any help/insights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom