New diver and new to uw photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutbill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
45881619-15e3-3a66.jpg

Just returned from my first dive with my sealife dc 1400

Not too many great shots but this one stood out a little.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

Very nice. It's not easy focusing on a creature swaying on a fan coral that is close enough that you're trying to avoid bumping it. New divers always do well to remember that their skills may not match their interest level and need to take care to save the beauty for others as well. Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll show us many more nice pictures in the future.

That is a nice shot but you should crop it. You have a lot of negative space around the subject.

I like it just the way it is. From the photo, I wouldn't have guessed that you were new to underwater photography, or that you had less than 24 dives.

Nice Job!

I need to learn a little bit of post processing. That was straight off the camera, maybe I will try some editing. That was taken on the benwood wreck in key largo. My wife and were just certified in march and have 17 dives. Since we are going to Bonaire next week I decided to buy a camera and we took a quick ride to key largo to get at least a few practice shots in!

Thanks for the comments

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

One thing you might think about when focusing or later when cropping is to avoid having the subject in the center of your picture. It's easier to focus that way, but makes a boring composition. Try to put your subject about 1/3 from two edges when you can. I still like the picture as is, but you might try some different crops, maybe one vertical, one horizontal, etc. to see what works best for you.

I like the vertical one. The dark area in the Sea Fan adds some interesting movement. Next, I'd try adjusting the contrast. If it were mine, I'd lower the exposure slightly and increase the contrast a bit to make it pop.

Back
Top Bottom