New diver...almost from NYS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edhjr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Started OWC last year, did not complete because the DM did not document completed tasks/skills. I had gallbladder surgery in October, and November I had 9 teeth extracted and 3 implants put into my lower jaw. I arranged to demonstrate Open Water skills at a different dive facility this past May, but by time I forgot nearly everything I learned and I had to drop out because our arrangement did not include diver's refresher course plus I wasn't happy with the instructor they chose for me.

I completed SDI OWC eLearning, I'm currently studying Dry Suit and Nitrox Computer eLearning Certification training.
SDI offers OWC, Dry Suit and Nitrox Computer integration as a single training objective to complete.

Interesting discovery, when I am underwater whether it shallow or deep makes no difference when you are diving until you look up the surface and realize just how awesome diving truly is.

Welcome from a fellow upstate NY'er. Did a stint in Syracuse a long time ago.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Sounds like you've got a plan, now, go to it! Good luck, and we can't wait to hear where you dive next!

Welcome from a native of Yonkers. I do remember my final OWC dive in 2005--looking up from the bottom at 30' and seeing ripples on the surface was awsome. I try to do that now and again to recall the feeling-- sometimes at the same place.

Have a question about open water skills not addressed in contained water training? Some skills are not suited for contained/pool training,, What skills must be mastered in open water setting?

Have a question about open water skills not addressed in contained water training? Some skills are not suited for contained/pool training,, What skills must be mastered in open water setting?
With PADI, not all skills taught in the pool are re-done in open water. Things may have changed as to which ones, so best to consult the agency directly for an OW Course description.

Need to work on buoyancy, neutral, positive & negative. Breathing/swimming underwater w/o mask, computer, sharing alternate air source /buddy making controlled ascent, underwater navigation. Still a lot to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom