New Divemaster-diver Communication System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philip damore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone

My name is Philip and I'm and engineering student from Copenhagen, Denmark. I'm currently working on a project developing a wireless underwater communication system between the dive master. The system is intended for increasing safety when diving, and giving divers a more nuanced way of communication with the dive master.

Since the system is under development me and my team would greatly appreciate any feedback which could help os head the project in the right direction.

So if anyone in here is interested in giving us their opinion on:
- which problems there currently is with the divemaster-diver communication
- why a wireless communication system would/wouldn't work
- which features would be essential to such a system
- would you even be interested in using such a system

whatever you can think of!

Any feedback is welcome, and will really help us make diving even safer.

Looking forward to your responses :)

My first thought is that such a system would need full face masks, not only for the Instructor, but also for the students.
A Full face mask is a specialty in itself and the one that is learning how to use it, should, at least, be OWD already.
Secondly FFM are a way lot more expensive than normal masks and second stage regs.
Going to the daily field, seldom operators or, even no one, has FFM to rent for vacation divers or divers that has no gear.
Masks and second stage regs are, more or less, all the same. FFM are unique each, so you learn how to use a FFM from one vendor. A second vendor FFM is different, not much, but something to consider.
Communications systems for FFM are standard. Nothing new in the market.

The problem with communication is that it is not properly taught. Teach good buddy skills and diver responsibility and you don't need any gimmicky communication system.

Besides this would break one (of many) of those things that I love from scuba, silence and only broken by my bubbles.

While there is a possibility, I'm skeptical that you have an invention that will make diving safer. As Jim said, what makes diving safer is divers who are properly trained, have good awareness, do not panic but stay calm, and so on.

Fundamentally, what do divers need underwater? Air. In sufficient supply (and with proper oxygen levels) to reach the surface. There are so many ways for divers to get the attention of their dive buddy if they have an OOA/LOA situation. Or they can be self sufficient with a sufficiently sized pony bottle. You've been fishing for information a number of times. Why not come out with your product idea and ask for critique? You have to present something concrete for a reasonable discussion. Otherwise, these requests for information/opinions are going to be all over the map.

Thanks for the response guys!

We completely agree with Jim, that the fundament for safe diving is the proper education of divers.

Just to follow up on what 'wetb4igetinthewater' said, our system was thought to be more oriented towards the communication between the surface observers and the dive-master (I'm very new to the diving lingo).

We wanted to give the surface crew the possibility to track the dive-masters' position and state, and send them essential messeges. In turn we have been much i doubt on how the dive-masters communication back to the surface crew should be. We have thought of having an wrist mounted screen with preprogrammed essential messages (e.g. yes/no and regarding OOA/LOA situations).

- Any thoughts?

We want to focus the system as much as possible on safety, and avoid unnecessary and disturbing communication.

Hope that clarified things a bit.

Besides this would break one (of many) of those things that I love from scuba, silence and only broken by my bubbles.

I agree with emoreira. I want silence underwater. Plus, I'm a bit skeptical that being able to speak with the divemaster would add any real level of safety.

I added a post re: needing silence underwater and then just saw the last post re: this only being for the DM and the surface crew...so ignore this please. Wish I could just delete it, but I can't. Sorry. :oops:

No worries, and thank you for the interest :) please come with further thoughts if you want.

Unclear to me how communication between the surface crew and the divemaster enhances safety. Can you please elaborate?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom