New dive watch advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a bunch of bands from my seiko diver that all fit, so thats a bonus haha

29tWsi_sXyNQZM1XDcwO5UPlCTdJQw2pSoxm4aYeSCQMUOjmQNncVJI1eiq4_VzRLHRfVHOPAzNkihTIjO6vtYQLwo8uTcT8h1ZxKTVU3dlLxl7C-sS7b4yZAawcYsD_oDUTzEdfWUB13Pso3BowUWEPGPbk7P0g23g2zx8K5YES-oj8AQnP0L4pHYbL-a7CMJLZtTLEG_nhJbgN4XnwQlQutF9MeHVZgEr46Q1zPVmeIiVAy0oiAr3LnnK3PF-zS8INAWf0zRnWkEVjuQK3ELT4VtEQQfjbgwuMTJHkJDY8El2dSPs1_LxNRLrUqOOOiFNLrU4UB3BPPtljFOT4hNTBvNVbu_9V_yVF69MWZhN55aaSYkrE_BbD_e1wuz_0icKnceWNt7q2Isk3pMOq8iqnq9juHi-DIQHKBRhwyi757IGR2m_dYa6o-0WEArdAvDqFG2pskmwhsQPBEyjbKGDiaIWofbe8OZm2K1bUrZosuXE2NNR0ekwS2FzCYwA1p5z33Y6aMKjvvcRfUFuRa4ySqo3aFeZlf9RyPUSeIb_toEEk8r3pIhd-fMQ2gSZN-fY9I_C_MHd_X7gMH66bUlndzuwvH-vjO7PR76Lrz3oygJVka7Gt8RY-N-v15fc5mX7FZDQh9U753Ztwyo5-wagMmfFGE3fA1h817aPyTsMmD3hOCZbV2E4ElxRglqyPT7HZCumUhqD00HuCGe75lSHF=w727-h969-no

IRP8hBT-m2dJnc8LEFfT9cIjGIjcMhKkUL_xNnXO5s8Ot7aSTTo5y1pKjpNrufNQec7nQniPEdYTFeP3FXNSmqVTEZ6Sjn86LJt5iGpIhImKg7qlWx2GMdMZMxRB6pT9KitNSLv_WjGMCetJOkdavP-DkxJFSnXlePlS1gYe80tZ7gZVvLkahPwXR_-Ho3fUVaE0y1k51kNJX9JDWwfOCs4aABmuQ40kUOWzlYfVNZnTlkbTNyyFwKO1GWdg2q8cjg-YjtCcLlXfFeG1BaEx3GyQPP3aRf0xF7tQj0B8YvjN0sXxpk26C5TC5wH2XujiXSeQzyz5ugA2KfCfUvh168ktKr-ARBgJng5whiOXfWkcEUUbDV3FyvbtRGUriURSdZlQtQ4gqXvwXhO041Fgfhx04DYAb2_V8b2SDvdH5gp_RI7oboj1zsAgY_nUSnkem2ErrvFEOOOJSUWrI59yk5IYoA4h__doL3jrdhx5FwqK4Laqw8e2S7s1kja50hdrnHSD8xYGWPH8BjBIhwMenII6TFIQFRw80RMUjHpv7FYS0s-99YhZ8CW1sQ-rtUHiqkNk-FGVvIdU3L2OzbTzoG0xNg4MSTJmeaJobb-6ZR6lfAASbtD_hxuyvqPNz8WKIicSMbs_ss8deGV7usLRWVeFJ3H50ElQO4q61JNFXhtaewvbGyX_twTC-HqSLKbLT1wwR2bPMy1ct-YyrfiApFHs=w727-h969-no

ylugwePorE1srvkQWmTROstj17j5p9FjClNqLI0OIUju9AAQK09i8_0TOFal4_uZ2lcfSavT6QmCcOBG6eYIJok9lKg0B-NvqGi-OoLi76rpOZ-rhVVALwnW-hfBB39Ffv8WVXV_d-6qFhZz7eGgFaWp7RbcvrNWRdELYl9T_4ERJDOlh-QpZ7GVTecEQ87osE66neqHh969NpTmqH3aJMNK58b5MQWpJ9DWiJn9MUJh9LJF1trz_L0BJZwPkZfnDJFR09vhLMWS6-FhT8SHqTJAdZYcqb-RCdl3RVfQtqExmE254cpmoxZa0RTUHzWqqfY7KXT_QLqF93XTio11KPjBwlFXGf4bIA32jrGRLSGdqfHQZPIrZhbyXR4R3hY_xMoecQ4e3LFY0pZNLkBS2U59I66ulMe3l7EWWKWWglOMqTD9TwkYkFHV95JXsQkuyoiQcKeWCzxV-v9x05xe4RL8ugTtgLBgoeyVM3kAtJgj-9dIdFLCqgXGa3Gg1Ga9iN1gE935yWOIj0ENDXimKI4OeRCyZV94kDhXm1xyR4GFoDZxjo9qlwH4anS0tfCuLc3Hm9aK4I6e0NC3Shutv-1ZV2JuIenDdTt8utTppczoC5mKEsvdLtmPzH2gq_tFJfJ9bXqCfewXgFxlcEN4bKQDnTCSpXRzgrHjbyLCuWWMShPStWeJSoCh1rAFbBvJtZy9Xrm9KxhaH1ai4A9a1fp0=w727-h969-no

It depends what your diving needs are. The Shearwater computers are excellent, the company is excellent, but their stuff is geared towards tech divers and is likely far, far more than you need. The perdix is much larger than watch sized, btw. If you want to spend the money, it's your choice but it's not at all necessary or even advantageous for OW diving. The peregrine is the least expensive, simplest model I believe.

If you are a recreational , OW diver, I would just get something that's easy to use, very simple, not too expensive, and I personally would avoid suunto because I believe their algorithm is too conservative for most OW divers. But any of the oceanic-built ones are fine. They all have the essentials, which is nitrox compatibility, some graphic display of N2 loading (very useful at the end of a dive when it really counts) decent ascent indicators, and user-changeable batteries. I used an aeris atmos for well over a decade with no problems. I only bought a shearwater when I started cave diving. The display is designed for dark environments. That's one thing you might look into, make sure it's easy to see in bright OW.
I am not a tech diver and found the Peregrine much easier to understand and use the most puck computers. It does have some features that may never get used, but would give lots of utility into intro tech diving. I am yet to have a situation where I couldn’t see the screen. I did eventually figured out how to adjust the conservativeness. Over all, I haven’t had a computer that is as easy to use and understand as this one. It is somewhat more expensive than a Zoop with a cable, but not insanely so. And it won’t impress the maitre d’ like a Rolex, but is a great computer.

I moved from a mares puck pro + to the Peregrine. Very pleased with Shearwater, and happy to support a Canadian company and Canadian made product. The Mares has been relegated to back up duties.

I splurged on a Shearwater Peregrine this summer....What it doesn’t have that would have been nice is AI and an electronic compass.
I've been considering the Peregrine as well to replace a hose-mounted AI computer. Intent would be to pick up a brass and glass SPG. Question: If Shearwater came out with an AI-capable Peregrine in the future, could I upgrade today's Peregrine and add a transmitter?

Question: If Shearwater came out with an AI-capable Peregrine in the future, could I upgrade today's Peregrine and add a transmitter?
Very unlikely. I very much doubt Shearwater would have added the hardware necessary to pick up the signal to the transmitter to the exiting product.

A hardware upgrade would be required.

I've been considering the Peregrine as well to replace a hose-mounted AI computer. Intent would be to pick up a brass and glass SPG. Question: If Shearwater came out with an AI-capable Peregrine in the future, could I upgrade today's Peregrine and add a transmitter?
Shearwater made the Peregine as an entry level computer. It is much nicer than other non-air integrated computers and has the versatility to do much of what their more expensive computers can do, but they are going to cut features to do it. From a marketing standpoint it makes total sense.

A nice introductory computer builds brand presence with divers that aren’t tech or rebreather pilots (yet). But when they mature to those levels they are going to stick with a brand they already are familiar with. Even with the higher price point, the Peregrines are selling well (as far as I can tell). All other companies are now competing with extremely nice computer. The screen and ease of use are just that much better.

Very unlikely. I very much doubt Shearwater would have added the hardware necessary to pick up the signal to the transmitter to the exiting product.

A hardware upgrade would be required.
They have an AI Peregrine. It’s called the Perdix AI😉

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom