new dive truck design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just had a near twin to it slip through our fingers. You going to gave a side man door? Outside lights?

When you get it done I'll give you directions where to deliver it here in Couer d'Alene. :D

Nice ride.

Gary D.

It was a donated 95? Freightliner from O.W.L. Fire department. It was used for hazmat I believe. We are gutting the inside so we will have a dressing area, onboard compressor, generator, workstation/repair station etc... It is about the size of a large u-haul truck. It will have the outside scene lights as well as the usual Police equipment.

We are using an old Medic right now so this truck will be a big help. It also has a cargo lift tailgate so getting tanks in and out shouldn't be a problem.

If I could ever convince them to come out west I would!

Nice Truck. Real nice truck.

Like Gary said about the door, see about putting a side entry door in it and a set of steps. That way you don't have to use the lift gate every time someone needs to get up/down in/out of the truck. The hydralic lift is run by an electric motor and you'll be depending on the battery too much. Besides, those lifts are just a huge pain in the butt for a simple entry/exit of the vehicle. Especially since the dock height of that truck is most likely 48".

As for the generator, Onan makes units that are made to be mounted "under the body" of a vehicle/truck and are extremly quiet (for a generator). You'll like this as it won't be inside and noisy and you won't have to "off-load" it to the side of the vehicle and run a cord to it. Mount it on the drivers/left side as if you have to pull off the road on the shoulder any "congregation" of people will most likely be on the right side. This way the generator will be on the opposite side which will reduce noise and exhaust fumes where people might gather. I'd size the generator large enough to run a roof-top-A/C unit also. If you're going to run the compressor off it also, then you could always turn off the A/C when the compressor might be running (as an option).

A roll down awning on the side like they have on RV's for shade/rain would be welcome on hot sunny days or rainy days. I would suggest the right side of the vehicle for the awning as if you're parked on the shoulder of a road it won't be usable on the left side (because of traffic).

Hope those are usefull suggestions. -Mike

Why fork out for a compressor, don't your fire trucks have cascade systems on them you can use? A compressor is the last piece of equipment we would buy. Takes up space, is high maintenance and good working relationship with fire puts one on the back burner without a pilot light. Besides they are not cop proof by any means. :D

Even if we have to go out of state they will go with us if we request them. Back a bunch of years ago we had to go for a recovery in central Montana. We were canceled just as we landed at a small rural airport.

On the flight back we flew over our rescue truck that had made it around 100 miles from home and had turned back. They are a great bunch of guys and gals to work with.

The world would be a much better place if we could all work together like our departments do. It isn’t problem free but we deal with problems like civil human beings and not top of the heap a-holes.

Good luck with the truck. When do you want the address? :D

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Why fork out for a compressor, don't your fire trucks have cascade systems on them you can use? A compressor is the last piece of equipment we would buy. Takes up space, is high maintenance and good working relationship with fire puts one on the back burner without a pilot light. Besides they are not cop proof by any means. :D

Even if we have to go out of state they will go with us if we request them. Back a bunch of years ago we had to go for a recovery in central Montana. We were canceled just as we landed at a small rural airport.

On the flight back we flew over our rescue truck that had made it around 100 miles from home and had turned back. They are a great bunch of guys and gals to work with.

The world would be a much better place if we could all work together like our departments do. It isn’t problem free but we deal with problems like civil human beings and not top of the heap a-holes.

Good luck with the truck. When do you want the address? :D

Gary D.

The compressor is in the budget but it could get axed. We do use an "Air and light Truck" from the fire department from time to time. The generator is a definate as well as a/c. I'll have to check about the side door. I didn't think about that at the time. The awning is also going to be added on as well.

mike_s:
Nice Truck. Real nice truck.

Like Gary said about the door, see about putting a side entry door in it and a set of steps. That way you don't have to use the lift gate every time someone needs to get up/down in/out of the truck. The hydralic lift is run by an electric motor and you'll be depending on the battery too much. Besides, those lifts are just a huge pain in the butt for a simple entry/exit of the vehicle. Especially since the dock height of that truck is most likely 48".

As for the generator, Onan makes units that are made to be mounted "under the body" of a vehicle/truck and are extremly quiet (for a generator). You'll like this as it won't be inside and noisy and you won't have to "off-load" it to the side of the vehicle and run a cord to it. Mount it on the drivers/left side as if you have to pull off the road on the shoulder any "congregation" of people will most likely be on the right side. This way the generator will be on the opposite side which will reduce noise and exhaust fumes where people might gather. I'd size the generator large enough to run a roof-top-A/C unit also. If you're going to run the compressor off it also, then you could always turn off the A/C when the compressor might be running (as an option).

A roll down awning on the side like they have on RV's for shade/rain would be welcome on hot sunny days or rainy days. I would suggest the right side of the vehicle for the awning as if you're parked on the shoulder of a road it won't be usable on the left side (because of traffic).

Hope those are usefull suggestions. -Mike

Those are great suggestions. The only bad part is we have to follow a low bid process. So we may be limited on the type and make of generator.

It took us almost a year to get two new "Aga" masks so I can just imagine how long the bids will take. If it wasn't for the Fire Department we wouldn't have gotten a new truck at all.

Back
Top Bottom