New Dive location in the works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I just wanted to let you know about a possible future dive site. Greenbo lake in Greenup County (near Ashland, KY) is being looked at for a dive area. The Friends of Greenbo Lake have gotten it past the first part of the Dept of fish and Wildlife, and the final decision from them should be in May. If they approve it will go to the state General Assembly for approval.

The plan is for a 10 acer area that will be for diving only from April till October. The Hours for diving will be 10am to 6pm. The area will be open for fishing in the other times. They say that the lake has about 15ft vis, and the area will be about 20-30 feet (I think). Shore access will be put in, but I'm not sure about adding much for platforms and structures.

The lake itself is a no wake lake, and has only a slow current, so I am thinking that it should be similar to some of the quarries, and has Bass, bluegill, trout, and other native fish.

Keep an eye out, I will try to get info out when I find it, and let your law maker and KDFW people know that you support it (if you do).

Thanks

Rodney

Rodney,

Thanks for the information.

This is very good news.

Please keep us posted.

Wish it was in a better location for me. Hopefully it will take the place of Falling Rock..aka Joe's. Let the dope heads have the quarry.

Wish it were closer (looks like about 4.5 hrs from me) ... but always welcome new dive sites in the "area"!!

I don't know if it will be better than a quarry, but a new place is great. The other thing is that the money to dive would go back to the friends of greenbo, for work on the park. They are also adding a zip line.

Right in My back yard!

I was at the last public Meeting and I got to talk with some of the people heading this up. and from what info I got was they will be a platform and structures, This dive site if passed by our head law makers in Ky, will be on a 3 year probation type deal. if their is any issues with or between the Divers and people that boats & or fishes then the Dive site will be shutdown for good. but if it goes without a snag per say, then the State of Kentucky Parks plans on putting a Dive site in "ALL OUR STATE PARKS".
The public Meeting votes went:
10-NO
35-YES!
This dive site will be 10 acres and the time frame I do not recall.

Like "mullannix930" stated all the money from this Dive site goes and stays to Greenbo Lake State Resort Park to help keep it open and to help bring other things into this park to make it more fun.

If it wasn't for 2 Local company's this Park would have been closed down about 2 to 3 years ago.
I use to work for one of the Company's I am talking about that do a lot of training at this lake.
I am also on a Local Vol. Fire & Rescue Dept. that is starting it's Own PSDA Dive Team. and this Lake would give not only our dept. but other dept's in Ky,Ohio & WV to train... and right now we are having to spend all our $$ in ohio and other out of state dive sites just to train. when we can be giving it to our own State Park...

bottom line is if "WE" can get this Dive site set in stone then "WE ALL" will have Dive Sites at all "OUR" State Parks in this Great Bluegrass State!

One step closer.
SCUBAVIP, what dept are you on? Also any idea on the visibility in Grayson or Yatesville lakes? I'm just looking for a place when my family is out on the boat.

I do not know about the Vis.
but I gotten word from the Ky dept. of fish and wildlife office, That any body of water that is owned or over seen by the Ky Dept. of Fish & Wildlife that it is against the Law to Skin or Scuba Dive. unless it is a emergency Operations or Recovery of like a car or what have ya.
I do know that some of the Local Fire, Police & Ems Departments has a agreement with the State so they can train. But they also went on and told Me that if You get a written letter from the KFWR Officer that is over said body of water to be able to scuba dive and fallowed all the rules set by state and Federal "DIVER DOWN FLAG". that it was OK.... I am going to try to find that Email from the state and post it on here for You if I can. My Gmail acct is acting up again..lol

I am on Station 60 Lloyd Fire & Rescue.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2012 at 07:16 AM ----------

If the Dive site does go through Myself along with many others are Planing to start a Dive Club for the Tri-State area, and maybe Joining up with the friends of greenbo to help out with keeping the lake clean on land and under the water.
We also have been looking in on some other BIGGER THINGS to really help out the Park but I will keep it on the Low Low right now. lol

The way I understood it was, you can swim etc from any part of the lake as long as it isn't from the state park part of the lake.

I would be interested in getting in on the club and helping with greenbo. My work schedule would be the only hinderence.

Army corps of engineers is over the lake. Fish and wildlife have the boating and fishing law enforcement. I have been told that it's ok, by other divers.

I have no idea on that. I will make a few calls and see what I can find out about...

I just sent this email to the state KDFWR office to get more info for us....

what are the rules and or Law's on scuba diving in Kentucky?
Reason why I am asking is that this website shows lakes, rivers and other places in ky that people are aloud to scuba dive at.

http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/ma.html

Places like;Dale Hollow Lake, Kentucky/Tennessee Laurel River Lake, Kentucky, &Lake Cumberland , Kentucky and more.
and I have been told that any body of water that is owned or managed by the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife that it is against the law to dive. but these named lakes has been told to me by their info centers that they are managed by the KDFWR.

Can You Please Help Out on this Issue???

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom