New Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

korny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings All!

I would really appreciate any comments regarding a proposed Oceanic dive gear package.

The package I have put together so far is GT3 DVT w/CDX-5, Air XS Octo, Islander 2 BC and Pro Plus 2 deluxe. I will do most, if not all, my diving in the caribbean or Fla keys. At 5'10", 185 lbs and 51 years old do you have any general comments regarding this package or would you suggest any substitutes?

It appears all the problems with the Pro Plus 2 were 2006, 2007 or early 2008. Have the root causes of the flooding issues, or whatever caused the locking up, been resolved? My LDS (Aquatic Adventures, Hilliard OH) has already given me their take on these questions and I would just appreciate other opinions.

Best Regards,
Randy Korn
Lakeview, OH

We won an Oceanic Delta 4/FDX-10 from our dive club, it is a nice reg.......

Have you dove with a Air XS Octo?

Some folks don't like that type of secondary, due to problems with ascent control, this can be alleviated with a right shoulder dump valve and/or practice ascending with another diver while breathing from the Air XS Octo.......

I have dove with both and like the streamlined nature of the combined inflator/secondary system, that being said all of our regs are standard two second stage set-ups.........

You might want to check SB for threads on the pros and cons..........

Hope this helps........M

Thanks for your input. I haven't dove (dived?) with the combo secondary before which is why I am asking for opinions. I like the concept of not having the extra hose from an octo, but I'm undecided at this point.

Thanks again Jorgy!

I found a review of the Air XS Octo on the Scuba Diver magazine website, it looks like a solid choice:

Oceanic Air XS 2
With excellent scores for moderate breathing loads at 132 and 165 feet, and very good breathing machine performance under heavy breathing loads at 132 feet, the Air XS 2 leads this pack of earlier models when it comes to breathing performance.

Our test divers found it to be a smooth, dry breather in all positions, and liked the compact, low profile. They gave it very good scores across the board in all ergonomic testing categories, except for the position of the inflate and deflate buttons, where it earned a good rating. Our divers found the position of the buttons makes one-handed operation a bit awkward.

The Air XS 2 can be attached to most existing BC corrugated hoses or can be purchased as a complete unit.

You might want to check out the entire article.........M

Scuba Diving Magazine - Better Alternatives

dove....dived.....I'm not sure.......:)

Thanks very much! Just the kind of info I'm looking for. I skimmed the article and will read it more in depth after work.

Hi Korny - got your PM asking for the same... First, on the Air XS 2, you'll see that the article in Jorgy's post refers to attaching the unit to "most existing BC corrugated hoses or can be purchased as a complete unit..." - buy the complete unit. This addresses Jorgy's point about ascent control - the complete unit includes a "pull ball" which allows you to very easily deflate while it's in use. Second, my personal recommendation to complete what is already a very lightweight and streamlined package, would be a wireless computer if your budget allows. I would also check out our V-6 fins.

Thanks very much Doug. I'll check it out. I really like the PP2 cause my eyes are getting old and I like the large fonts. What about the screen freeze issues I see people complaining about? Has the root cause or causes of that been determined and fixed? Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom