New dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarionT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Can anyone advise me on new equipment for 3 times yearly dive travel to warm water places? Would a combination of ScubaPro MK2 R295 Reg, Air 2 - 4th Generation inflator instead of Octopus , Miflex Twin Combo Console and Miflex hoses be a good choice? Thanks for your help

MarionT

Your choices are fine.
Personally I'd stick with a regular 2nd stage back-up.
Why do you think you need Miflex hoses?.........Try the normal hoses first.

Do a search for "Miflex" here. There have been a number of reports of their high pressure hoses suddenly failing, and at least one case of a low pressure hose suddenly failing, all relatively early in their service lifetime. Personally, I don't see a benefit that outweighs the track record--millions of dives--that standard rubber hoses have going for them.

That'll make pretty good reading, but not compared to all the material you'll find if you do a search for "air2". Yes, you'll lose a hose. Was that hose really an encumbrance? Consider different hose lengths and routing as alternative streamlining strategies.

Then, if you still have leisure time, do a search on "wrist vs console". I am pretty agnostic on that one, but prefer my gauges wrist-mounted.

Dump the AIR 2 and go with a standard octo. Have you actually done an air share with an AIR 2? Not my favorite thing to do. I'd also second the simple spg and wrist mounted gauges or wrist computer. There are also other mi flex type hoses out there that so far seem to not have the issues. I use braided 6 inch HP hoses on my stage bottles and have sold a few of the 24 inch ones with no reported problems. The ones I have are the Edge-Flex ones from HOG/Edge Gear. Like these:Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services

The Mk2/R295 is good, but for as much diving as you are doing you may want to get the Mk11/C300 or Mk25/S600. A.I.R. II is the way to go, one less piece of gear ( Oct.). XP10 computer in console or wrist, your preference.

PM me for quote and Best price!

On the braided hose option (Miflex HP problems notwithstanding): I don't (yet) fly to dive, and I like the rubber hoses on my regset -- but my usual buddy has braided hoses on his regs and they seem to coil up smaller and more nicely for transport. Am I just imagining that or would it be a possible benefit for someone who is (presumably?) going to be flying to dive?

my usual buddy has braided hoses on his regs and they seem to coil up smaller and more nicely for transport. Am I just imagining that or would it be a possible benefit for someone who is (presumably?) going to be flying to dive?
I have not tried them, so I only know what I've read here. The lighter weight and ability to coil tighter are attractive qualities to me, since I fly to all my dives. Other reported benefits include ease of routing and increased regulator comfort. In my opinion, these benefits don't outweigh the peace of mind I get from the long track record of performance that rubber hoses have. I do look forward to using the braided hoses once they have a similarly comforting record. In general, I try to avoid being the beta tester for any product.

I hear you on that - I'm typically a "late adopter" myself. Despite that, I bought one of the skinny HP Miflex hoses for my SPG when I first got my gear (granted I had not then read about all the failures and didn't fully realize I was guinea pigging).

Well, in addition to worrying about it after reading all those accounts, I just didn't *like* that hose. It tended to "hang" awkwardly on the boat (dropping straight down and so putting a lot of tension on the strain relief vs. making a nice arc - so I had to always clip it off on a higher D-ring), and also the SPG would not swivel after it was pressurized so I had to always try to get the SPG oriented "correctly" before turning on the air. Basically... a pain. It did pack small though. I now have a rubber one.

All that said, if I were buying a flying-travel-specific reg, I think I would consider all braided hoses (just not the thin Miflex HP one). They seem so supple when de-pressurized and pack down so well.

Blue Sparkle

Thank you all for your comments. That has been helpful. Marion

It is quite interesting to read other divers recomendations when you have different opinions on almost everything being discussed.
Different strokes I guess.
I personally don't want anything on my wrist. I believe my computer and spg are better protected in a console and gearing up is quicker. Everything I have even worn on my wrist gets damaged, lost or destroyed. But I am not a sightseer diver I am working hunting or collecting on every dive.
I much prefer a 3 hose set regulator. I use a 40" primary hose on my reg because in an air share jackpot it's being donated and I am breathing from my inflator reg, which I do not find problamatic at all. Just never make the mistake and give away your inflator regulator.
If your octo free flows you will know it first, and you will never find your self hanging upside down from the side of the boat by your octo hose.

Back
Top Bottom