New Digital Underwater Photography Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished reading my copy of Digital Underwater Photography.

My overall, first impression is, "Great book!"

I used to do a lot of photography back in the day of film. And I'm a cave diver. I'm only just getting into taking my digital point-and-shoot into U/W caves, so the timing of the book is perfect for me.

The book has a beautiful layout; it's very eye-catching. I like all the sidebars and notes. I'd say my favorites are little anecdotes from Jill's life as a photographer, but that would pass over all the pictures. If I'd thought twice before buying it, I would have hoped for lots of pictures. Indeed, there are many great ones! There are only a few "pretty fish" type pictures--many of the shots have people as the subject. The pics come from all sorts of environments and should give any type of diver some great ideas. One of my favorites is actually a top-side photo.

The book is a "basic" book (rumors of an advanced edition in the future?). It refreshed my basic photography understanding. Some of the diving tips I already knew, as a cave diver. Then there were some important things I'd never considered--who knew I had to not seal my housing during the flights! I knew to not squeeze it for long-term storage, but not the part about flying! I also had been wondering how to put metadata in the digital images and Jill suggested software for that, too.

As a geek, I would have liked a little more detail in the technology of CCDs and the like, but for a basic manual, it was probably just right for the average reader.

It's a shame the book doesn't have glossy paper to showcase the great pictures, but I understand that probably would have made the book much more expensive. As it is, the book is quite lovely.

I intend to read it again--maybe twice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom