New DA Aqua-Master owner has questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you had a bad run of seats or nozzles Matt, because you're a pretty seasoned tech. Either that or I got lucky. It's a good thing too, because my DA is a NONMAG.

I had two DAs and a few seats. One of the nozzles was much better than the other, but neither of them were rock stable like the RAM or phoenix nozzles are.

Maybe you had a bad run of seats or nozzles Matt, because you're a pretty seasoned tech. Either that or I got lucky. It's a good thing too, because my DA is a NONMAG.

There is a little bit of both.
I have probably seen more DA that have what I call a mushy lock than the ones with a solid clean IP lock... some don't totally lock at all, but most do lock, just not a clean return to the exact same IP without drifting at least a bit. It is just what I have seen.

I just prefer a RAM with the modern seat. It wasn't the same with the old RAM seat. The old hard rubber RAM seat was worse than a DA.

Luis,

It's funny that you mention that, because I have had nothing but bad experiences with rebuilding any RAM style first stage without that little blue seat. I swear by that thing, it is like a tech's dream come true.

Hi All,

I just acquired a DA Aqua-Master that I plan to re-build to dive and I had a few questions:

1. Any of you live/dive vintage on the Island of Oahu or know of anyone who does?

2. I have read on the forum that you need the AM with long yoke to add the Banjo for an SPG. From what I can tell the regulator I have was manufactured in the mid to late 60’s, how can I tell if I have that one?

It appears to be in good shape, the mouthpiece was OK, but the hoses were shot, (see pictures). I have read about the phoenix mod, but I’m not ready to go that route yet, at least not until I determine if DH diving is for me, and I justify the cost of the reg plus the cost of the rebuild parts to my accountant, (wife)

3. I am going to dive 3000 psi AL with it, I have read on the forum that I should consider replacing the original yoke with a heavy duty one. Can I use a yoke off a modern single hose or to I have to get one specifically geared for the AM?

4. My normal single hose regulators consist of an Aqualung Conshelf SES and an Aqualung Legend. What kind of breathing performance can I anticipate with the AM in comparison to my two single hose regs?

5. My interest in DH is threefold, I like the idea of diving with a piece of history, the rear bubble exhaust, (I’m into underwater photography) and I want to dive less equipment intensive, (read bulky) gear I’m ditching the octo, BC, etc etc in favor of mask, fins, Hawaiian backpack, (The picture is the one I have), AL80, reg and SPG.
Less gear + less cleanup = more frequent diving

6. I am planning on buying the following for the rebuild:
New hoses, new duckbill, band clamp ring, new wagon wheel/valve combo, Aqua-Master Platinum rebuild kit and two stage diaphragm. Too much, too little, something else I need?

Any ideas, thoughts and suggestion to a (soon to be) new DH diver is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon,

Before I invested in the RAM seat and all that comes with it, I'd get the AM you have up and running. It is an unbalanced first stage, so you need to set the intermediate pressure at about 500 psig tank pressure. The intermediate pressure will vary with the tank pressure, and become higher as the tank pressure lessens. I have taken the AM and used an allen wrench to get the intermediate pressure to where is starts leaking through the second stage seat, then back it off a quarter turn. You don't need a gauge to do this. Put new hoses, a new duckbill and new valves into the mouthpiece (either new silicone or exchange the wagon wheel for the newer ones that are more aerodynamic), then dive the regulator for a while. The DA Aquamaster is a great regulator, and getting to know it before making a major modification will allow you to understand the history of the regulator better. Then, if you really like the double hose regulators, there are two options to upgrade to. One is the Phoenix modification, available through VDH. The other is a brand new concept which is being offered through VSS by Michael Story:

Vintage Scuba Supply Community Forum - New Multi-Port Body for AquaMaster!

But before you do either, enjoy the DA Aquamaster is it was originally designed. Then you can appreciate even more the upgrades.

SeaRat

:rofl3: No need John, you know as well as I do you can't own just one of these things.

Back
Top Bottom