new cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ellisj501

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a cylinder of my own already, its was a used one but in very good condition and has been serviced and filled, all good.

When I go diving though I would like to take a second full cylinder, less time waiting for filling.

My question is, if I buy a cylinder brand new off the shelf, will I have to have it serviced before I can have it filled.

Thanks

John

No. A new tank is (or should be) inspected by the seller and good to go. In the US, a VIP sticker is affixed by the selling shop, but it appears the Sheffield in your profile refers to the UK. Not sure how things are done across the pond.

If you buy an new cylinder off the shelf from a LDS they should inspect it and install the valve to prove it passes inspection. They also will need to fill it in order to make sure the valve seals to the tank properly, without leaks. I would hope they would provide this initial fill free since you purchased the tank from them. Just my 2 cents

No. A new tank is (or should be) inspected by the seller and good to go. In the US, a VIP sticker is affixed by the selling shop, but it appears the Sheffield in your profile refers to the UK. Not sure how things are done across the pond.

Hi Marie13, yes i'm from the UK, I would imagine things are industry standard but thanks very much for your advise it's much appreciated.

Thanks again

John

If you buy an new cylinder off the shelf from a LDS they should inspect it and install the valve to prove it passes inspection. They also will need to fill it in order to make sure the valve seals to the tank properly, without leaks. I would hope they would provide this initial fill free since you purchased the tank from them. Just my 2 cents

Hi Scuba307,

Yeah I got a free fill when my used cylinder got serviced, but its good to have a second comment saying the same thing, I managed to save a bit of money over lockdown, so thinking take the plunge and buy a new one :)

Thanks again

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom