New computer shows low battery, is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tibbers

New
Reaction score
I have purchased a new dive computer of oceanic oci from scubastore.com, but it shows low battery when I launched it, is this normal?

Not sure if it's normal but I had a similar experience with my Hollis DG03 from DGX. I just went to the LDS and paid $8 for a new one and they put it in for free. Lasted 60 dives and a year after before I replaced it as I normally do for my computer and transmitter annually. At that time neither showed as low, so I'm guessing it sat on a shelf for awhile...

Not sure if it's normal but I had a similar experience with my Hollis DG03 from DGX. I just went to the LDS and paid $8 for a new one and they put it in for free. Lasted 60 dives and a year after before I replaced it as I normally do for my computer and transmitter annually. At that time neither showed as low, so I'm guessing it sat on a shelf for awhile...

Thanks for your information. I just guessed it sat on shelf for a long time before I wrote this thread, I had checked the user manual, it said the battery can be sustained for up to 7 years in deep sleeping, so I sent an email to the support team asking them provide the date of out off factory that I can assume if the battery's life will over. I will buy a new battery and replace it at night. Hope it can be worked well after changed the battery.

If you buy a new computer it shouldn't come with a low battery, unless they specifically give you a deal because it was sitting on the shelf for years. Otherwise I think they should at least send you a battery kit with a new oring.

If you buy a new computer it shouldn't come with a low battery, unless they specifically give you a deal because it was sitting on the shelf for years.

Well... That may be true in theory, but dive computers are not like cellphones: there isn't a new model every quarter. It's not impossible to get a current model that's several years old. OCI, in particular, is from 2013 and I'm not sure they fly off teh shelves, exactly, at a mere $800 a pop.

Otherwise I think they should at least send you a battery kit with a new oring.

Could be worth asking. With that price tag they oughtta replace it for you, too.

The same happened with my OCI I purchased at my LDS. They replaced the battery for free. I guess that's the advantage of having a LDS that wants your business. I think its a good idea to ask for a battery kit from scubastore, send them some pictures of it showing low battery and maybe a copy of your receipt that shows the date you bought it. Hope you enjoy your new OCI as much as I have!

Well... That may be true in theory, but dive computers are not like cellphones: there isn't a new model every quarter. It's not impossible to get a current model that's several years old. OCI, in particular, is from 2013 and I'm not sure they fly off teh shelves, exactly, at a mere $800 a pop.
sure, but they must have some idea what's been there for years. It would be good customer service to open the box and turn the thing on and check before shipping it to someone.

The obvious counter-argument is that sending them an open box with greasy fingerprints and scratches would be bad customer service. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

It would be good customer service to open the box and turn the thing on and check before shipping it to someone.

OCI has a particular setting that once launched, it can't be turned into deep sleep mode. For considering the challenge, normally they don't open the box, unless I demand them.

The same happened with my OCI I purchased at my LDS. They replaced the battery for free. I guess that's the advantage of having a LDS that wants your business. I think its a good idea to ask for a battery kit from scubastore, send them some pictures of it showing low battery and maybe a copy of your receipt that shows the date you bought it. Hope you enjoy your new OCI as much as I have!

As you say, I have sent photos to the service team, I photo the screen that showing low battery and ask them to provide the date of production. I live in China, if really battery problem, sending a Kit from Europe to China is costly, might as well buy one locally. I'm worried if I changed the battery by myself, does the warranty still available?
OCI is a good DC, I've been watching it for days, but in China is not popular, most people use Sunnto as their DC, so finding a LDS is impossible, I have asked for many stores, most of them never heard this brand and they recommend me to buy Sunnto, I dont like Sunnto, it just like IPHONE, have no fun to customize followed my heart.

I'm worried if I changed the battery by myself, does the warranty still available?

I should expect so, unless you flood the battery compartment (later) maybe. Looking at the manual, they may use an uncommon o-ring, make sure you don't damage that. That o-ring is why they charge 20 bucks (or whatever) for the "kit" with the 50-cent 24xx coin battery,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom