New Computer... Selling Old one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goldenwingk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey, im looking into a new dive computer for myself, currently i dive with a Cochran Gemini... it is a really difficult computer to use... very complicated to memorize the different functions and such.
i am looking for a new computer something like the Atomic Cobalt... i heard it is VERY good, new, and works well.
i am wondering if you guys could suggest to me something that is comparable to the Atomic Cobalt or something better then it. it would be very helpful :)

i am looking into possibly starting some pre tech diving, nothing intense yet. something that can read the pressure in my tank... doesnt matter if it is a wrist unit or as a gauge.

Thanx :)

Shearwater Predator, Liquivisions Xeo & X1, HeinrichsWeikamps DR5, etc.

If you are going to get into tech forget the air integrated computers. Get yourself a bottom timer or a simple comp that will go into gauge mode as you'll be diving tables to start with. Then get your instructors recommendations for computers after you have some time diving and decide what deco algorithms you will be using.

i'm not familiar with that version of the cochran, but i use the emc-20h... there really isn't a lot of data on it... it can be used from air to multigas to trimix to ccr...

--c

Actually, the Gemini should be able to do 2 gasses. I know a few people that use them for decompression dives. Personally, I use cochrans as they are generally reliable, you can set the conservatism, and are easy to read. As for a bottom timer and tables only, if there is ever a time when you have to ascend, a computer will have kept track of your various depths, whereas tables will give mandatory times. My opinion, plan your dive (I like V-planner) follow it, run the stops you have planned, but should you absolutely need to go, if the computers say go, you should be fine.

If you are going to get into tech forget the air integrated computers. Get yourself a bottom timer or a simple comp that will go into gauge mode as you'll be diving tables to start with. Then get your instructors recommendations for computers after you have some time diving and decide what deco algorithms you will be using.
Some good advise here. Spend the rest of you cash on v planner and dive of slates.

Perhaps the tech divers can correct me, but a console computer is particularly bad choice for someone planning to get into tech diving. You're better off with a wrist unit that has a gauge mode.

The Gemini is remote, and not a console. Dive Rite makes good stuff, haven't used that one, but i have heard no complaints, personally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom