new camera help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an olympus stylus 400 that is aging. I use it in an olympus case and its ok. Batteries are getting weak and the delay is long.

I have no clue where to start looking for an upgrade. Should I go for a scuba camera or another housing??

Its been so long since I bought an underwater camera I dont really know the market.

If there is a survey or comparision out there, please direct me that way.

Many thanks!

PS: 3 weeks to Bonaire!!! WOO HOO

Take a look at the sticky at the top of this page: Getting started in Amateur Underwater Photography and Buying Your First Camera. There is a lot of good starter information here.

Check the various camera sub forums in the Underwater Photography Forum. Ie: The Canon Corner, The Nikon Niche and the Olympus Outlet. Don't overlook Sony cameras. While not a major presence here, they do offer a good range of housings for some of their models. I would suggest confining your searches to cameras which offer full manual control.

Two camera review sites are: Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource! and Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Finally, have you thought of simply getting new batteries and high speed memory? Look for battery models with the highest milliamp hour figures.

A good source for batteries is: Rechargeable Batteries Battery Chargers Rechargeable Lithium Digital Camera Batteries Maha Ansmann Energizer Sanyo ZTS

Whatever you do, you don't have much time.

I am 9 days back from Bonaire, I envy you.

A lot depends on how much you want to spend...I happen to be a huge fan of the Canon G10 as a point and shoot...but if you want to spend a lot more.. there are great choices out there.

The other issue is strobes... and that will depend on which camera you pick...but gert7to3's post is a great start.

Once you get the basic cost you want to spend... and get a general feel, there are lots of good people to get the details from here.

For sure I'd buy a new battery and keep your present one as a spare or for topside, etc.

You might want to check out the newest Olympus modes that are waterproof as well as shock and freezeproof, the T6000 & T8000. They have greatly improved housings available for them, and come in bundles together.

I have articles on my blog about them as well as various other aspects of uw photography.

Everyone here has pushed the land camera side so I will throw in that you shouldn't overlook the companies that do nothing but specialize in underwater camera systems. Being specialized it allows us to focus on making it easier for divers. Let me know if you want to know who the other guys are!

Everyone here has pushed the land camera side so I will throw in that you shouldn't overlook the companies that do nothing but specialize in underwater camera systems. Being specialized it allows us to focus on making it easier for divers. Let me know if you want to know who the other guys are!

I would like to know the other options. My wife has a great land camera and we want an UW camera to replae the old olympus. tell me more.

I am liking th elook of the Sealife line.

Thanks!

I'm sorry, Joe, but I am going to back the land camera argument. The shots that I have seen from cameras for strictly underwater use (barring of course the Nikonos) come out with more digital noise than I like. The land camera companies already have gotten the design for a good camera right. Personally, I prefer the Canon line.

I have an olympus stylus 400 that is aging. I use it in an olympus case and its ok. Batteries are getting weak and the delay is long.

I have no clue where to start looking for an upgrade. Should I go for a scuba camera or another housing??

Its been so long since I bought an underwater camera I dont really know the market.

If there is a survey or comparision out there, please direct me that way.

Many thanks!

PS: 3 weeks to Bonaire!!! WOO HOO

"If there is a survey or comparision out there, please direct me that way."----here you go---

For the best(IMO) info out there, look in Alcina's sig--the pink part(linked), lots of great info in the pink line---she is THE guru of UW cameras, when she speaks, you better listen, seriously........

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/alcina.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom