New BP: Swap over W from existing BP/W or buy another W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've currently got a HOG steel backplate with a HOG 32lb wing and their "deluxe" harness. I decided to put together a new BP/W to go to a lighter BP and a one piece/Hogarthian harness.

Options:

1. Swap the wing and tank buckles from current BP/W and have one complete BP/W.

2. Get another wing and buckle set and complete a second/lighter BP/W.

What would you do?

do you need a second rig? Do you intend to swap between plates frequently? If yes to any of those, I'd get a second wing. If not, then I wouldn't bother unless you have an issue with their 32lb wing

do you need a second rig? Do you intend to swap between plates frequently? If yes to any of those, I'd get a second wing. If not, then I wouldn't bother unless you have an issue with their 32lb wing

I do not need a second rig.

I do not intend to swap frequently, but I dislike removing the wing and buckles (I’ve done it a few times for gear configuration changes). That’s the main reason that I’m considering having two setups...quick change between setups if/when it happens to be necessary (which...if I’m being honest with myself...is a waste of ~$230).

I don’t mind my wing, so that’s another check in the keep one setup column.

One can never have too much scuba gear...

Lol. Yeah...part of me was thinking that.

The other part of me doesn’t want unnecessary crap hanging around. I’ve been putting in an honest effort to cull through unnecessary stuff lately. Going with option two would run counter to that effort.

What about using a STA? That will make disassembly and swapping parts much faster.

What about using a STA? That will make disassembly and swapping parts much faster.

I’ve got a Deep 6 STA. I used it for 20 dives or so. I like it...It did make swapping parts quicker and I like how it looks and functions.

I decided to remove the STA and see what I think of my setup without it for a bit (It’s ~1 lb of additional weight that I don’t need). My wing has integrated tank roll prevention bars, so I don’t NEED the STA.

If I decide to start going back and forth on the plates, I may opt to break the STA out again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom