New Book alert! 'Confessions of a Divemaster' coming this December 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I really enjoyed the kindle version. I have none of those same criticisms. I can't speak for the hard copy.

In my opinion, it is the kind of book any traveller would enjoy, diver or not. Thank you for the renewed wander lust. See you in PG.

Aside from progressive wokery, was it a good read?
Have a look at this more or less randomly chosen excerpt and I think you'll be able to evaluate for yourself whether you'd enjoy it.

IMG_1198.jpg

I would describe it as "your friend writing a blog" quality. Very much stream of consciousness, trite metaphors, and telling instead of showing. "The bus was full of interesting people", "we visited the significant tourist places", for example. Either show us the interesting people or leave it out. That's what I mean about the editing. And with more-or-less gratuitous references to bestiality and testicles, I don't think you need to be "woke" to select what quality of literature to introduce into your brain.

This may have been fixed in the Kindle edition, but look at the last paragraph. "su-preme" is split for no reason, and the sentence just ends right in the middle and is inexplicably continued on the next page. Not every page is like that, but many are.

I truly am glad that so many seem to have enjoyed this book.

nope. same as on the kindle. i wasn't really expecting prose so I was not disappointed. I read it as a blog recapture of his amazing experiences. And, by the way, su-preme is pronounced sooooo-preme and therefore is even better than supreme.

As far as progressive wokery goes, whatever. If being progressive is wrong then what is right? Being regressive? But anyway, don't let a few dirty words or ribald humor turn you off from literature.

I've read a bunch of self-published memoirs on topics I'm interested in under the Kindle Unlimited program. Very few of them would be mistaken for a professionally edited work from an established publisher. However, since I'm not paying anything extra to read these books, I am willing to live with this if the content is sufficiently compelling. The rare exception occurs when the editing is so atrocious that I lose the ability to pay attention to what is going on in the book.

In my opinion, "Confessions of a Divemaster" is par for the course in terms of editing quality for this type of work. I actually sent the author a half dozen corrections that I hope he will incorporate into a future revision of the book. But it passes my compelling content test. It should certainly should be of interest to anyone contemplating becoming a dive professional or curious about what that life is like. And there's no harm if you want to skip the early part of the book covering his pre-diving life.

I'm very close to getting it completed for audible, looking to get it ready by June 1st if all goes well.
Trying to decide between Morgan Freeman and Sir David Attenborough do the reading?

Back
Top Bottom