Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USC8791

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I just launched a YouTube channel that has a heavy emphasis on Bonaire. We’ll have videos with tips & tricks for restaurants, lodging, grocery stores etc., as well as general advice for divers and non-divers. Most important to our friends here on Scubaboard will be our dive site videos. We’ve created informational videos on several of the dive sites. The videos are designed to give you a general overview of the sites so you’ll know what to expect when you arrive for your shore dive. We cover the sites in and out of the water, and my wife Liz actually demonstrates the entries/exits. We have four sites uploaded now, and will be adding more over the next few weeks. If you’re new to Bonaire shore diving, we hope the videos will make your experience easier. If you’re already a Bonaire pro, we hope the videos will allow you to virtually escape to your favorite shore dive destination.

To kick things off we have a video on ten things you can do to make Bonaire shore diving easier. These are simple things any diver can do, or bring to Bonaire to make their experience easier and more enjoyable. Here’s a link to the video: https://bit.ly/bonaireshoredivingtenthings . At the end you’ll be able to link to a playlist of the dive site videos. To jump straight to the dive site videos click here: https://bit.ly/divesiteplaylist . We hope you’ll take time to watch our videos, and if you enjoy them, subscribe to the channel. We’ll be adding more videos over the next few days and weeks, so make sure to click the little notification bell symbol after you subscribe, so you’ll be notified when new videos upload.

With over a decade and hundreds of shore dives on Bonaire, we’ve developed a passion for the island. We hope our videos will help you do the same. Enjoy!

Kevin

Nice videos! I subscribed. Hoping our trip at the end of July will still happen!
One question, though. A friend or ours had a recommendation I didn't see on your videos and was wondering what you thought: They said that while the holes just under the surf were indeed hazardous and the trekking pole would be a help, an even bigger hazard was that almost every hole seemed to have a black long-spined urchin in it! They said the poles came in very handy for flicking the urchins out of the holes so you have a safe place to step. Now, while I'm not an advocate of touching the sealife, I can certainly see where this might be a problem. What are your thoughts on this? Have you experienced this problem?

@Daebado, thanks for the question AND subscribing! In short this hasn't been a problem for me personally. Let me add a few thoughts. First, I'm not a fan at all of disturbing the marine life, so please don't flick the urchins with your walking stick. It doesn't sound like you would anyway. What you'll find is that there is typically some level of surf or wave action that hide the urchins from sight anyway. If they're in holes in an area where the water recedes to where the urchin is exposed, just step around it. Also, while it's important to look where you step, remember that the body follows the eyes; look down, fall down. If you're looking ahead more than down, while using the stick to steady yourself, you'll see obstructions in time to adjust your path. Finally, a good pair of thick soled dive boots like the ones I mention in the video can protect and steady you during an unavoidable urchin incident. With all of that said, I just don't see urchins during entry very often.

I sure hope your trip happens in July! If it does, let us know how it went. Thanks again for the question. I hope this helped.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Binge watching is now on our schedule for the next few days and without commercials. A win-win. :)

We were in Bonaire for the first time in 2018 and then again in 2019. Our plan was to go again in 2020 but is less likely now. Hopefully 2021. In the interim, we will enjoy your streams.

Cheers
Darrell

The use of a walking stick is not prohibited by Bonaire Marine Park regulations? If not, it seems to me "flicking sea life" with a stick would for sure be a violation.

The use of a walking stick is not prohibited by Bonaire Marine Park regulations? If not, it seems to me "flicking sea life" with a stick would for sure be a violation.

I don't think the walking stick itself is prohibited, especially since during the dive it will be tucked into bungee straps next to the tank. Hard to do any damage with it there.
I do agree, however that flicking sea life would be frowned upon at the very least! :angrymob:

I took a look at the Bonaire Marine Park rules (actually a video of the rules). Walking sticks were not mentioned. They did state the following: "Coral, dead or alive, is protected by law." and "Touching Marine Life is Prohibited."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom