New boating law regarding cut off switches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Michigan it is state law to have a cut off switch and safety lanyard for vessels smaller than 22ft. I wonder what the enforcement measures will be and how it can be implemented on older boats or smaller cruisers.

New Boat Engine Cutoff Switch Law Goes Into Effect April 1 : BoatUS News Room

Doesn't need to be installed on older boats. It is in effect for those boats that already have one installed and boats manufactured beginning Jan 2020, per the link.

Text in link says 26 feet....
That was my state law, not federal.

Doesn't need to be installed on older boats. It is in effect for those boats that already have one installed and boats manufactured beginning Jan 2020, per the link.

I know it doesn't need to be installed on older boats, but was wondering the process of installation?

I believe its just the chosen lanyard switch installed in the circuit between the distributor and ignition. This was an example I found:
kill-switch-wiring-diagram-car-new-mtd-mower-ignition-switch-diagram.jpg

I believe its just the chosen lanyard switch installed in the circuit between the distributor and ignition. This was an example I found:
View attachment 651415
That looks like a well designed diagram. However, in a pinch you could do the needful MUCH easier. Cut the ignition wire. Affix to the appropriate NO switch, attach lanyard. Actually that would probably be a more reasonable solution for a boat where you steer by moving the motor manually. Probably $20 plus labor. $2 once the Chinese start making the necessary switches :wink:.

I bet most of these lanyards will end up just dangling from the switch right next to the keys or attached to the keys instead of the wrist.

I bet most of these lanyards will end up just dangling from the switch right next to the keys or attached to the keys instead of the wrist.

32 years like that on my boat. Kill switches have been in use much longer....

A significant number of tiller steered outboards have had them just as long. Nothing new, just "you have to use them"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom