New battery for Cobalt 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

… It's not a difficult task to unscrew the back and pop the battery cover off, and the battery itself is plug & play as long as AA is willing to send you a new one...

True, but I understood that opening it yourself it voids the warranty??? I have no trepidation replacing a battery myself if AA would send me one, but I would have the factory do it rather than a dealer so the whole unit gets thoroughly checked out. There are no AA dealers within two hours of me anyway.

… Might want to check/clean the overpressure ball valve while you're in there.

Ball valve? Do you mean relief valve?

Opening the Cobalt's battery compartment won't void your warranty, but Atomic is understandably not encouraging everyone to do this, knowing that not everyone is going to exercise proper care with O-rings and seals, have the right O-ring lubricants, etc. There is the opportunity for improper assembly. Based on what we have seen, the Cobalt's battery will take so many charge- discharge cycles that for most users changing a battery is something that will never come up. So for the large majority, it's a moot issue.

I know Atomic does a thorough check whenever they service a Cobalt, and there is a lot to be said for that.

There is a small rubbery ball in the battery door. That functions as an overpressure release- mostly during assembly. It's best to remove that ball before replacing the battery door, as the hole allows pressure to escape and prevents the O-ring from being pushed out of position when the door is fastened down. Then it gets replaced with some flexible silicone sealant/ glue.

Ron

Thanks for the explanation Ron. I was trying to picture one of these ball valves in the Cobalt somewhere.
1CKE1_AS01.JPG

hi ron its garry from prime scuba can you please call me

1877 585 2822 prime scuba

thanks gb

So was on a live aboard in the T&C beginning of Jan. My Cobalt I came up "charge stopped" multiple times when I tried to charge it. Eventually it showed charging and and then charge complete at 84% when left to charge overnight. Dove with it one more day and then it died completely. Luckily I had a back-up Sherwood Insight on my BC the whole time.

Returned it to Atomic when I got back. Don called last Wed. and said a seal leaked and compromised the battery. It's a sealed compartment and nothing else should have been compromised. Hoping to have it back by end of this week.

Very good service dept.!

Back
Top Bottom