New AOW diver looking for BC...HELP PLEASE!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go Sharks

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a recently certified AOW diver. I live in California and will do most of my diving in cold, ocean water. I'm about 5'10 and 200 lbs. I'm looking for a BC and have seen a lot of them, and heard a lot of them, but I'm not sure which one to buy. I'm leaning toward the Zeagle Ranger or Zeagle Tech. However, I'm interested in the Dvie Rite Transpac II and Halcyon BP and wings. Any help you guys can give to a new diver will be greatly appreciated.

Go Sharks!

If you are going to be getting into any form of advanced diving (wrecks, caves, deeper, etc) then a backplate and wing system will take you further, and save you money over the long run.

I dive the Ranger and like it very much, to also know it's limitations when it comes to advanced diving. It is capable of mounting doubles, but only smaller ones since with wing lift capacity is only so much.

I have recently upgraded to the OMS IQ system and like it very much. The fit is even better than the Ranger (and that was difficult to top) and I am enjoing the improved trim.

If you have any questions, post them since there are plenty of good opinions on this question.

The first thing I would suggest doing is sitting down and think about what kind of diving you will be doing in the future, Iknow that may sound difficult to do, but it will pay off in the long run. I purchased a "conventional" BC, and now a few years later I am a technical cave diver. I would definately go with a ss backplate and wings, don't make the same mistake myself and alot of others have made, see if you can try out a backplate and wings, I think you will like it, and it is alot more versatile than the conventional bc. Good luck with your diving future and remember to dive safe!

You need to figure out what kind of diving your going to do first. Then you look at your needs and try to get something you can adapt to your current and future needs.

Try and dive the ones you like before you buy it. See if you can rent it, or borrow one from a buddy.

Determine a price range

Do you dive laguna beach California? if so where?

Andy
your Southern Cal neighbor

i too did what msjones did, bought a bc and now i use a backplate and harness. which if your local to me i will let you dive it if you like.

Have any of you considered the ScubaPro Knighthawk? I was reading an article by what appeared to be an advanced diver and he basically said he could get rid of all his rigs and be comfortable using only the KnightHawk for both Rec and Tec diving. I'll try to locate that article and post it here if I find it.

There are actually three articles.

Here's number one: (Swim King Scuba)

Scubapro Knighthawk BC

My dive locker is filled with ''specialty'' BCs: A minimalist model for tropical travel, a high-lift harness with wings for technical diving and a sturdy front-adjusting jacket for cold-water work. If need be, I could replace them all with Scubapro's new Knighthawk. This latest-generation, back-flotation BC delivers ample lift capacity and a wide range of torso adjustments, yet retains a streamlined, form-fitting profile.

Key to the Knighthawk's low-drag design is the pleated, retracting air cell. Sheathed in a tough 1,000-denier outer panel, this U-shaped cell tucks between diver and tank and is cut slightly wider in the hip area to create optimum balance in the water. An elastic cinch system automatically controls and minimizes the cell's profile, while flow-through vents in the base further reduce drag.

Equally important to wearer comfort is the Knighthawk's backpack-style harness, which distributes weight evenly across the diver's shoulders and torso, and is fitted with dense, non-buoyant padding and a micro-plush lining. The neck area is finished in a soft neoprene collar to reduce chafing, and the waist cummerbund has a self-adjusting elastic panel that maintains a snug but non-binding fit. Other noteworthy features include a reconfigured ''one-step'' buckle release on the integrated weight pockets, zippered storage pockets that include an expanding pouch and one-side adjustment buckles on the chest and waist straps.

In use, the Knighthawk provides the precise horizontal trim divers expect from back-flotation BCs, along with better than expected vertical trim - especially when weights are split between the main integrated releasable pockets and the rear trim pockets. The one-step release buckles on the primary weight pockets proved quite easy to release, while the contoured shape of the pockets made it simple to add or remove weights.

With a 46-pound lift capacity, a 30-pound capacity for weights and plenty of adjustment capability, the Knighthawk can handle thick wetsuits and even drysuits, but it also cinches down into a surprisingly streamlined package for tropical use. Although compact, the rigid internal back plate will likewise accommodate a high-volume steel tank, and the overall design is tough enough to take the punishment of surf or wreck diving.

If you are looking for a BC that will accommodate a wide range of diving conditions, provide a comfortable fit, and deliver many years of low-maintenance service, the Knighthawk should be at the top of your shopping list.

Here's number 2: (Rodale's)

It takes a bit of getting used to the rear bladder BC. If you haven't dove one before I would rent one if possible to see if you could get use to it. They do have a tendency to push you face forward until you get it into your muscle memory to compensate. Once used to it though there are benefits, such as excellent position under water.

THINGS I LIKED

This is the most comfortable BC I have ever used. On shore dives it makes the walk to the water about as comfortable as one could hope for with 30-40 lbs of life support on your back. The integrated weight system kisses the shifting weight belt good by, and thanks to its complete mechanical design no worry about it falling out due to faulty Velcro. The air cell is pleated with bungee cord type restraints holding it tight and trim until filled with air. Also their are plenty of places to dump the air from. It has a lot of well thought of features, such as a neoprene neck roll. It is very adjustable and importantly it holds the adjustments once made. This sounds minor, but its features like this that really adds to this BC's comfort. Underwater and at depth the BC fit is snug but not confining. It does not shift and move on you body with the addition or deletion of air.

THINGS I DON'T LIKE

If you like plenty of pockets skip this BC. It has one that ride below the weight system and must be unrolled where it hands about 8 inches below the BC. Also although I like the weight system to dump it you need to unclick a mechanical button on each side then slide the weights out. If someone wasn't completely familiarized with the system it could be a problem, FOR YOU!

Overall all I like this BC a lot. I rented a chute II to get the feel of a back inflating BC and like this one a lot better. The best thing I can say about this BC is that you don't notice it once underway.

Here's number 3: (Sport Diver)

My dive locker is filled with ''specialty'' BCs: A minimalist model for tropical travel, a high-lift harness with wings for technical diving and a sturdy front-adjusting jacket for cold-water work. If need be, I could replace them all with Scubapro's new Knighthawk. This latest-generation, back-flotation BC delivers ample lift capacity and a wide range of torso adjustments, yet retains a streamlined, form-fitting profile.

Key to the Knighthawk's low-drag design is the pleated, retracting air cell. Sheathed in a tough 1,000-denier outer panel, this U-shaped cell tucks between diver and tank and is cut slightly wider in the hip area to create optimum balance in the water. An elastic cinch system automatically controls and minimizes the cell's profile, while flow-through vents in the base further reduce drag.

Equally important to wearer comfort is the Knighthawk's backpack-style harness, which distributes weight evenly across the diver's shoulders and torso, and is fitted with dense, non-buoyant padding and a micro-plush lining. The neck area is finished in a soft neoprene collar to reduce chafing, and the waist cummerbund has a self-adjusting elastic panel that maintains a snug but non-binding fit. Other noteworthy features include a reconfigured ''one-step'' buckle release on the integrated weight pockets, zippered storage pockets that include an expanding pouch and one-side adjustment buckles on the chest and waist straps.

In use, the Knighthawk provides the precise horizontal trim divers expect from back-flotation BCs, along with better than expected vertical trim - especially when weights are split between the main integrated releasable pockets and the rear trim pockets. The one-step release buckles on the primary weight pockets proved quite easy to release, while the contoured shape of the pockets made it simple to add or remove weights.

With a 46-pound lift capacity, a 30-pound capacity for weights and plenty of adjustment capability, the Knighthawk can handle thick wetsuits and even drysuits, but it also cinches down into a surprisingly streamlined package for tropical use. Although compact, the rigid internal back plate will likewise accommodate a high-volume steel tank, and the overall design is tough enough to take the punishment of surf or wreck diving.

If you are looking for a BC that will accommodate a wide range of diving conditions, provide a comfortable fit, and deliver many years of low-maintenance service, the Knighthawk should be at the top of your shopping list.

Summary: A latest-generation, back-flotation BC with above-average versatility, excellent stability and a number of innovative features. Retracting air cell creates streamlined profile, yet expands to create 45 pounds of lift. Available in four sizes.

I'm new to the sport as well, having just completed my 6th, 7th, & 8th post-OW certification dives this past Saturday at the Coronado Islands.

The weekend prior I had rented a Zeagle Ranger BC from my LDS, of the BC's that I have rented or used to date this was the most comfortable. Though my experience is rather limited in this regard.

I have done quite a bit of research and tried to rent those BC's which I was considering for purchase. A BP/Wing configuration is the only setup that I have been unable to test. Though TRYMIXDIVER has been generous enough to offer me one of his for future dives. I'll still bug him to go diving since we live in the same area, but I've also made the decision to purchase the Zeagle Ranger Limited Edition BC.

I liked the standard Zeagle Ranger that I used on a recent dive, and have read quite a bit about the opinions of others on this item. The LE version merely has a few extra bells and whistles. For the type of diving that I expect to do for quite some time this will be a good choice for me.

Don't tell my brother-n-law... I've ordered him one too for his b-day next month. We were certified at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom