New (and yet kinda old) guy from Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Don

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. New guy from Texas signing on! :)

When I say I'm new, I don't just mean I'm new to ScubaBoard (though I am). I mean I'm new to SCUBA entirely. I have wanted to learn to dive for years but never got around to it. I'm now looking to correct that long-time deficiency and begin to learn so I can get certified and be able to start diving.

I don't even know yet where I can dive near me that's worth it - but looking forward to learning. Thanks in advance for any wisdom y'all can provide.

Welcome Don (from the guy who joined a whole 24 hours ago). Hope it all goes smoothly for you. Just remember you're choosing to take on an addiction!
Allan

Welcome to Scubaboard! We're very pleased to have you join us.

Take look through New Divers subforum, just for starters.

I can't advise you with regard to Texas but I'm sure that someone will be along.

@Just Don, what part of Texas? I am in Fort Worth.
I'm just north of Dallas, in Allen. Not too far from you. Any good dive sites near the metroplex, or would I really need to go to the coast (or somewhere else?)?

Thanks!

@Just Don, not much in the area worth diving, at least in my opinion. I hear people talk about Scuba Ranch, but that is about 2 hours east of me. I will drive out there one day and check it out.

Hi Don, your greatest dive friend is DFW. Gets you many places nonstop.

I am in Central Texas, so not familiar with your local scene. By the time you drive to the lakes south of you, you can fly to many places in the Carib.

Welcome!
51 is not "kinda old" for scuba.
Lots of people don't find the time or money for scuba until they're "kinda old," so you'll fit right in.

Hi. For ocean diving, I imagine you'll be flying somewhere. Which means choosing amongst land-based of live-aboard trips. 3 Popular land-based options are Key Largo (Florida), Cozumel and Bonaire. I'll post you some links to reviews.

Some people like live-aboard boats, where you stay on a big boat for a week or so. In fact, there's one that operated out of Texas last I heard, called the Fling. A number of their trips get cancelled due to weather, and I don't think it's diving you're ready for yet, but the time should come.

Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018
My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

And here's a good 'starter' live-aboard option -
Sun Dancer 2 (Belize) May 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ving-belize-via-sun-dancer-2-may-2nd-9th.html

There are many other options...Roatan has CocoView Dive Resort (lotta diving) and Turquoise Bay Resort (reputable option for a little tighter budget), for example, but you can drive yourself nuts trying to grasp all the choices.

For a starter trip, if I were in your shoes right now, and considering the pandemic...you might want to read up on Cozumel first.

Back
Top Bottom