never seen this crab before need help to ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigfrog23

Reaction score
was a pretty cool looking crab found hem at salt point in south Gerstal cove. pictures aren't that great. take a look hopefully some one know what species this is. this was on my second dive with this camera vis was only 4-8 feet.

unknown_crab.jpg

unknown_crab_1_.jpg

canon 30D 10-22 f3.5-4.5 & aquatica housing with 2x sea and sea YS-120

thanks, have never seen them before we came across about 6 of them on this one dive. and this one was not in my species id books. by chance do you know what the range is one these crabs.

That is an incredible looking creature.

According to the search I just did, range is from Alaska to Southern California.

Lucky you -- I have yet to see one of these guys, and I live where they're relatively common!

That is a good sized Puget Sound King Crab. The only one I have seen was a juvie less than an inch across its carapace. Found it at the Keystone Jetty.

this guy was huge about he size of a large rim about 22 inches across. when we found hem he was munching on a sun star. we saw several other most of them were females and about the same size. i love the claus on these guys the look like thay have molars on them. they a very different from most of the crab species that we have in this part of nor cal. finding this guy was almost as good as finding he Humbolt squid a few years back down in the channel islands. i guess i can take this of the list of had species to find thanks swankenstein and TSandM for the info. i new some one would know what it was.

Back
Top Bottom