Neutral Buoyancy, learned from the begining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yes, you really can learn to scuba dive, and never know anything but decent buoyancy control and good trim.

I'd like to pass on this little video clip on as encouragement for those in a class, or recently graduated. All it takes is practice, and someone willing to teach you the basics. Don't let anyone tell you it's magic, or too onerous, or impossible to master as a low-time diver.

[youtubehq]9liE5HZC6cw[/youtubehq]

The student here is seen at the very begining of their second pool session. They ballpark their buoyancy with the BC, then levitate and control depth by using breath control. As you can see, he has to work at it, but hey - it's only his second pool session.

All the best, James

I was also taught neutral buoyancy from the beginning and applaud anyone else who takes the time to teach this right from the start as well. It helps when the instructor has the time and is also a master at it as well (all my instructors from day 1 were long time cave divers). I still to this day thank them once in a while for the extra time they took to teach me good skills from the start.

A quick teaching tip that really hit a home run with me:
When I first started out, my instructor/mentor used a lift bag on a huge bag of weights one day in a spring. He was showing me how very little air was needed to inflate with and made this really heavy bag completely neutral. I was able to see it float off the bottom and just hover in place. I could move it in all directions very easily.

The point was, I was able to see what something weighted on the bottom took just to lift it off the ground and become perfectly neutral. At that point on, lung control really took on a whole new perspective. Get down, inflate until you're just hovering, then make all other changes with lungs. It helps a new diver see that their BC is not to be used for going up and down, it's just there to keep you from sinking.

Since then I always suggest this to OW classes I help teach.

My instructor tried to illustrate the concept though some breathing exercises to get us used to the idea, but it still took practice. Interestingly they never really focused on the part your equipment selections play in the process, and that was the big revelation for me. Once I got my equipment profile dialed in, the rest just all fell into place.

Doesn't every course teach that? I mean, teaching it is one thing, getting it right on a real dive is another, but are there actually courses which don't even mention neutral buoyancy?

Could not agree more. we are in the process of finding someone to teach our family the Buoyancy and trim class. We are already Open Water certified
But my trim and buoyancy is not good.

We have found one company and contacted them, but it seems to be a hard class to locate here in Texas

Could not agree more. we are in the process of finding someone to teach our family the Buoyancy and trim class. We are already Open Water certified

We have found one company and contacted them, but it seems to be a hard class to locate here in Texas

Have you asked a local dive shop? I'm sure they could recommend someone to teach you this. Or get with a local dive club and members would most likely help you!

What part you in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom