Neutral Buoyancy Lab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chucksaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I saw a piece on Channel 8, Dallas this weekend, about opening up the NBL to divers. Refresh my aging memory but does ChrisPete still work there and does anyone know anything more. Sorry but this would be a must-do dive for me...

It would be awesome if they'd do that, but I suspect the logistics of security clearances for individual civilians to come dive that kind of a government facility would be daunting, at best.

Last I had heard, they were considering opening it up to commercial contractors for industrial applications. They can have a lot more control over that and bring in significantly higher cash flow, rather than charging you and me a couple hundred bucks. They could also do that without having to alter their work schedule to accommodate recreational divers.

I had a group of graduate students doing a course project a couple of years ago. One of the group members had some association with the NBL. They were going to use the NBL to do their project. One of the group members was a foreign national. They ended up having to use the indoors Williams pool instead. Unless they relax the security requirements, recreational divers may have some difficulty taking advantage of whatever opportunity arises.

They're still putting up with me at the NBL. The facility is available for industrial & commercial applications but the others pretty much nailed it as far as non-NBL resident divers diving in the pool. Sorry, wish I could say differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom