Neutral buoyancy GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron, I almost linked to that last night but decided I didn't want to encourage the OP. LOL. This is just not necessary! The addition of the GoPro onto, well, anything, really isn't going to change the buoyancy if the object! The thing is basically neutral.

The base camera itself may be negligible, but I'm thinking about adding a few ULCS arms, clamps and joints, and the setup won't be on every dive. A hundred grams or less can throw off the trim of a well-balanced scooter annoyingly, so if I can minimize any changes needed for the whole video rig, it may be worth the effort.

So going on RockyHeaps suggestion why don't you add a length or two of sealed pvc that you can attach along the length of the scooter.. you can adjust the lengths and trim it perfectly and remove when there's no camera mounted.

The base camera itself may be negligible, but I'm thinking about adding a few ULCS arms, clamps and joints, and the setup won't be on every dive. A hundred grams or less can throw off the trim of a well-balanced scooter annoyingly, so if I can minimize any changes needed for the whole video rig, it may be worth the effort.

WOW 100 grams.. I would think all the arms and mounts and stuff would make enough drag that it would throw the hydrodynamics of the scooter off more than a couple ounces of weight. I guess I never had a scooter balanced that well or something?

I guess I never had a scooter balanced that well or something?

100g is equivalent to 2-3 stainless bolt snaps, easily the difference between neutral and horizontal, and immediately going nose-down and sinking to the bottom. I guess it depends on how much you care to have your scooter trimmed and balanced the way you like it. I certainly wouldn't mock you for preferring something different.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom