Neutral buoyancy dSMB launch from shallow depth - how hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The keys for me, after countless practice is

- Get into totally neutral buoyancy and mid-lung capacity (i.e. you have the most ability to go up or down with breath control) before starting. Take your time getting there. If you're not totally stable and comfortable, you'll just add to your task loading while you're getting the SMB sorted out. This is something I've found to be useful in general, whether launching an SMB or doing a gas switch where you need to hold depth.

- Following from the first point, it sounds like you need to shift some weight around to get good wetsuit trim.

- I use the GUE SMB launch protocol (I think you can find various videos on it on YouTube, or you can see probably the best step-by-step breakdown on GUE TV). Pick a process and follow all the steps (e.g. Don't forget to clip off accessories like your light and stow your light cord. Don't forget to look upwards both ways for other divers).

- A standard SMB will float fine with a half breath from 30 feet, so just work on getting that half-breath into the SMB, putting the reg back in, and only inhaling when you launch. At 2.5m, it'll barely float, but it'll be good enough in deeper water. Basically don't worry about getting more than that good half-breath in. You're done!

- Sometimes those oral valves are tricky to put in between numb, frozen lips and air just dribbles out the first time instead of going into the SMB. I've found adding an extra breath to the SMB is no big deal. You're still able to control your buoyancy with your lung capacity.

...Sometimes those oral valves are tricky to put in between numb, frozen lips and air just dribbles out the first time instead of going into the SMB.

With numb, frozen lips, just use the corner of your mouth. The gas goes in well, and it works. :wink:

I think it's the pursing action of the cold lips that allows gas to escape, so you avoid that by putting the oral inflate valve in the corner of your mouth.

I can’t remember the last time I deployed a DSMB at less than 60 feet, until our last trip to West Palm Beach. I managed to dislodge my Manta reel with Carter DSMB (found later and returned) while grabbing lobsters, so I was left with my compact backup rig consisting of a tiny finger spool and a large bottom inflate (only) DSMB. Launching this freaking thing while wearing lobster gloves and trying to maintain some semblance of a safety stop resulted in a string of obscenities that are still drifting somewhere out in the Atlantic. Very humbling experience. So don’t be too critical on your performance in a shallow pool.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions all! I did expect to have slightly rusty skills after lockdown enforced non-diving, but i certainly didn't expect them to be that rusty! lol!

I'll give it another few tries next week when i'm back in the pool. I'll try pushing my cylinder (12l steel) up a bit on my bcd to keep me head down a bit more), and see if i can get better balanced before i start the process :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom