NERD wrong depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an email to Shearwater about this. While waiting to hear back I figured I would check if anyone else had this issue...

2 dives. Basic recreational dives. Getting back in the water after the joys of 2020. First dive, everything is fine. Second dive I notice the depth reading between the NERD and Petrel don't match. As in off by about 5 feet. Surface and the NERD still has me diving at 4 feet. Pack it up, go home. Still at 4 feet couple hours later. Figured putting it on the charger would stop it, didn't. But did find "end dive" and that ended it. Pulled the log and it was a steady 4' for the drive home but handling it the very end of the log had a couple swings in it to 6'.

This is not the old version with the faulty digital depth sensor, already went through that.

Anyone have any experience with this while I am waiting to hear back from Shearwater?

salinity settings
Yup, check your settings.

On a side-note, how do people deal with haloclines and differing layers with their computers? Asking because I recently dove Hudson trashpi- I mean Grotto, where the salinity changes throughout the dive.

Yup, check your settings.

On a side-note, how do people deal with haloclines and differing layers with their computers? Asking because I recently dove Hudson trashpi- I mean Grotto, where the salinity changes throughout the dive.

pick one, the salinity settings only matter for the depth readout, the computers run on absolute pressure so they will compensate automatically for your decompression. They run off of atmospheres absolute, so whether 4ata's is 99ft in salt, 102ft in fresh, or somewhere in the middle with EN13319, the deco doesn't matter.

Both set to fresh water and auto altitude. But none of that would cause it to hold a 4' depth reading while on the surface. Both computers were reading the same on the dive prior as well. So you can rule out a setting issue.

Got word back that they looked at the file, appears to be a bad depth sensor. Getting my RMA.

Back
Top Bottom