Nerd or Standalone computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joemcd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

In a moment of stupidity, I managed to break my OSTC backup computer. With diving going to restart soon in the UK, I'm going to have to get a new backup computer. I've an X-CCR and I'm debating whether to get a Nerd to replace the HUD or else get a standalone backup. Any advice from people ?

Cheers,
Joe

I had a HUD on my rEvo and replaced it with a NERD2 (and AI to replace the SPGs). I love it and would not go back.

I had a HUD on my rEvo and replaced it with a NERD2 (and AI to replace the SPGs). I love it and would not go back.

Thank you. A strange question to ask but does it feel "heavy" after a while and make your jaw tired ?

Thank you. A strange question to ask but does it feel "heavy" after a while and make your jaw tired ?
If you don’t have a gag strap or a chin rest, it is noticeable, especially if scootering. If it’s Nerd+BOV, it’s closer to intolerable depending on the unit/how your hoses are twisted/how fast you’re scootering. Swimming is whatever.

Used a Nerd for a couple years, sold it in favor of lower profile HUD that I could see in an actual whiteout/blackout and doesn’t have the associated jaw fatigue. It is possible to lose ability to see the Nerd if it’s that gnarly. Have transmitter(s) viewable via a standalone Perdix.

Not a strange question, and no. But, I must note that the rEvo standard is to use a gag strap (aka mouthpiece retention strap). So, I have that holding my BOV in my mouth even if I totally relax my jaw and try to let it go.

I cannot really speak to what it feels like on a DSV/BOV that is only held in your mouth by your bite.

Thank you both. I don't have a gag strap and have a BOV so it sounds like it'll be heavy then. I'm leaning towards a standalone device now. Thanks for the very quick replies .

Revo owner with Petrel controller and Nerd2 backup...

Never noticed jaw ache.

One slight challenge is when doing a bailout. It's a bit fiddly to be able to switch the backup Nerd2 into bailout mode; slightly easier to unclip off the loop and hold it in front of your face.

Wouldn't be without one though! Brilliant to actually see the PPO2, amazing to use it for the compass, just to have the info in front of you.

N.B. have two additional cells connected to the Nerd2 so the electronics are truly separated. Don't know what the X-CCR would need, but probably splitter cables.

Revo owner with Petrel controller and Nerd2 backup...

Never noticed jaw ache.

One slight challenge is when doing a bailout. It's a bit fiddly to be able to switch the backup Nerd2 into bailout mode; slightly easier to unclip off the loop and hold it in front of your face.

Wouldn't be without one though! Brilliant to actually see the PPO2, amazing to use it for the compass, just to have the info in front of you.

N.B. have two additional cells connected to the Nerd2 so the electronics are truly separated. Don't know what the X-CCR would need, but probably splitter cables.

Good point on the bailouts. Besides the need to do it in an emergency situation, I'm working on building up my hours for MOD2 so I might end up having to do that a good bit on that course.

There's a extra port for connection but it still goes to the same 3 O2 cells.

The X BOV is particularly large/heavy just by itself, even if "neutral" in water. Adding a NERD, despite its advantages, only increases this. That factor was the clincher in choosing my JJ, because I really wanted an X.
That said, my JJ buddy LOVES his Nerd! And using a BOV, it stays in view under all but the worst conditions.
Since I'm DSV, I have stayed with my wrist Perdix, because the loop/Nerd floats up out of view in the event of bailout, yet still requires buttonology to switch to B/O mode.

The X BOV is particularly large/heavy just by itself, even if "neutral" in water. Adding a NERD, despite its advantages, only increases this. That factor was the clincher in choosing my JJ, because I really wanted an X.
That said, my JJ buddy LOVES his Nerd! And using a BOV, it stays in view under all but the worst conditions.
Since I'm DSV, I have stayed with my wrist Perdix, because the loop/Nerd floats up out of view in the event of bailout, yet still requires buttonology to switch to B/O mode.

That's why I was wondering about weight. The BOV does have some weigh attached and I realised looking at the pic of the Nerd that it will have a bit more weight too. I had forgotten about bailout though. I'll get a standalone computer now which is probably useful if I ever do want to be lazy and do a recreational dive too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom