Nerd 2 for Prism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyborg Pirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
looking into replacing my HUD on the Prism2 with the Shearwater Nerd 2. Has anyone done the installation? Also anyone using the Nerd 2. Comments welcome. Would like to get their experiences. Worth the cost? Any issues with the install etc.
Thank you in advance.

Btw, I am Mechanically inclined. However, I have never pulled apart the electrical connections. And yes it makes me nervous.

I'm also interested in feedback on the Shearwater Nerd 2. I've been holding off on buying a Teric for backup, since I think the Nerd 2 would be perfect as a primary to keep my hands free and unencumbered for spearfishing and lobstering

If your Prism 2 HUD is not hardwired into the head and it uses a 5 pin DiveCAN connector it is just a matter of getting a DiveCAN NERD 2 from your closest Shearwater dealer and plugging it in replacement of the HUD. Cheers.

If your Prism 2 HUD is not hardwired into the head and it uses a 5 pin DiveCAN connector it is just a matter of getting a DiveCAN NERD 2 from your closest Shearwater dealer and plugging it in replacement of the HUD. Cheers.
Thank you for response! Yup I have one coming now. Be here Monday! I keep hearing conflicting information one one aspect tho. Thoughts on mineral oil on connection point to avoid water intrusion? Or no?

We recommend mineral oil for Fischer connections and silicone grease for DiveCAN connectors. Mineral oil will not hurt DiveCAN connectors but you will get better protection using silicone grease instead.

We recommend mineral oil for Fischer connections and silicone grease for DiveCAN connectors. Mineral oil will not hurt DiveCAN connectors but you will get better protection using silicone grease instead.
Just curious... whenever I have used dielectric grease (silicone grease) in the past. I have always been of the understanding to NOT put grease on the electrical contacts/connection. However, I have never used it in an underwater application. Today my Nerd 2 will arrive. I plan to install it this afternoon. My question is, Do I actually put the grease on the 5 pins, or just around them? Just double checking before I make a very expensive mistake.

I was informed by Richard (Shearwater) to use mineral oil. Just enough to wet the rubber, not dripping wet. The silicone part is new to me.

Back
Top Bottom