neoprene cover, seafrogs 8" dome, A6xxx salted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With the 8" dome the protective neoprene cover for it (the one you'd leave on for getting off and in the boat and would take off at depth) does appear to not come with the dome (they refer to a cloth cover, likely just for travel). Same as with the 6" dome, but there a separate cover is available.

It seems as if for the 8" dome there is no neoprene cover available, neither from seafrogs, nor from Meikon. I also asked them, but no reply in several days.

Does anyone have that dome? Did it come with neoprene cover? Or is there one seperately available on their webpage and escaping me ? Or?

It looks like you're right - there doesn't seem to be an 8" neoprene cover available as of yet. The 6" dome that I have came with a cloth cover bundled, and I wouldn't dive with that one - it's strictly for travel. However, other manufacturers sell neoprene covers for 8"/200mm domes for around $40; they should fit the Meikon dome without much issues. In fact, the covers that have two straps that go behind the dome and twin cutouts for the shade petals are probably easier to put on in the water than Meikon's style that uses a drawstring.

It looks like you're right - there doesn't seem to be an 8" neoprene cover available as of yet. The 6" dome that I have came with a cloth cover bundled, and I wouldn't dive with that one - it's strictly for travel. However, other manufacturers sell neoprene covers for 8"/200mm domes for around $40; they should fit the Meikon dome without much issues. In fact, the covers that have two straps that go behind the dome and twin cutouts for the shade petals are probably easier to put on in the water than Meikon's style that uses a drawstring.
Likely so... but with no reply coming from seafrogs after asking twice and the window for me to figure this all out prior our trip only getting shorter, I ordered with the 6" dome...
Still need to get a tray and arms and need to decide whether I stick with existing YS-03 and video light or make a franken-rig with a used Ikon AF-35 ((paid as many dollars) ... ... I seem to have trouble deciding to spend the big bucks on lighting right now... Anyway, need to get the housing first, do a lityle on land practise... and figure it out...

FWIW, I took the 8" dome diving with the bundled cloth cover, and while it was fairly annoying to put on underwater (the fabric is very 'floppy' when wet, for the lack of a better term), neither the dome nor the cover suffered any damage in half a dozen saltwater dives and subsequent rinses.

...and what shows up in my mailbox after I've come back from a dive trip? A notification from the postal service that the neoprene cover I ordered via eBay on December 3rd is waiting for me at the post office, that's what.

It appears to fit the port, but just barely - getting it on required quite a bit of pulling and stretching; I do not look forward to doing it on a safety stop. Maybe it will be easier when it's wet, but I doubt that. It might be easier to put back on after surfacing, with the BCD fully inflated and the camera rig resting on my stomach. Pulling it off is not too bad though.

olsalgt.jpg

2xanQVR.jpg

Mate dance for joy

my wetsuit bloke made one that fits like a trash can lid on a stick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom