Neoprene boot vs Neoprene sock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, I am eyeing 901 drysuit by dive rite, pics at: 901 Series Drysuit | Dive Rite

This suit comes with a neoprene boot and I am slightly confused.

I used to have a suit with neoprene socks that gave me flexibility to choose my stand alone rock boots. I could lace the boots to my desired tightness (for long dives) and have the large fin pocket that is interchangeable with my wet boots, so could use same fins dry or wet (same pocket size).

Thus, what is this neoprene boot? Do I need rock boots at all? I am asking because the pics show neoprene boots as semi-rigid and to me it doesn't look like the stand alone boots can accommodate this and be comfortable. Will fins pop if these get a big air bubble?

So, I am eyeing 901 by dive rite, pic at: 901 Series Drysuit | Dive Rite

I used to have a suite with neoprene socks that gave me flexibility to choose my stand alone rock boots. I could lace the boots to my desired tightness and have the large fin pocket that is interchangeable with my wet boots, when I dive wet, so could use same fins dry or wet.

Thus, what is this neoprene boot? Do I need rock boots at all? I am asking because the pics show them semi-rigid and to me it doesn't look like the stand alone boots can accommodate this. Will fins pop if these get a big air bubble?
Those look like something I would avoid, others love them but they are intended to be used instead of an overboot, basically a rubber slipper glued to a neoprene sock.

So, I am eyeing 901 by dive rite, pic at: 901 Series Drysuit | Dive Rite

I used to have a suite with neoprene socks that gave me flexibility to choose my stand alone rock boots. I could lace the boots to my desired tightness and have the large fin pocket that is interchangeable with my wet boots, when I dive wet, so could use same fins dry or wet.

Thus, what is this neoprene boot? Do I need rock boots at all? I am asking because the pics show them semi-rigid and to me it doesn't look like the stand alone boots can accommodate this. Will fins pop if these get a big air bubble?

Hi Texasguy,

No rock boots needed for this suit. the bottom portion of the ''neoprene boot'' has a rigid rubber overlay, providing arch/toe/sole protection, this boot fits directly into your fin foot pocket.

There should be no issue, with the boot popping off your feet if you have air trapped in your legs, not if your inseam is the correct length. Assuming you're a capable dry-suit diver, and have taken a dry-suit course, there should be no air trapped in the lower extremity of your suit.

Personally, I have always preferred sock feet on a dry-suit. My neoprene DUI suit has neoprene socks.

Sock feet allow the user to fully turn the suit inside out for proper drying/cleaning

Rose.

Back
Top Bottom