Neoprene allergy solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ptalwar

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I'm a dive instructor and underwater photographer who has developed a neoprene allergy (go figure). I get a crazy rash when I wear neoprene. I recently got patch tested and it looks like I'm allergic to "Mixed Dialkyl Thioureas" or "diethylthiourea" which is used as an accelerator in neoprene.

I can wear a lycra suit under and I still have the same problem. If I wear tons of layers under the wetsuit it does seems to help, but is really annoying.

I have previously found the Thermocline suit made by Fourth Element for neoprene allergy sufferers. It is two pieces, neutrally buoyant and equivalent to 2.5mm of warmth. I has really helped me. I also find that if I wear it under a 7mm it solves the problem.

The only thing is, I am really looking for a one piece wetsuit that I can just pull down in between dives when I am doing 3 dives a day and going for lunch inbetween. It would be nice to just have one layer and not have wear layers upon layers upon layers that I have to pull up every single day before every single dive.

Has anyone heard of anybody being helped by Pinnacle's merino wool-lined wetsuits? I wonder if the layer is thick enough to eliminate contact of the neorpene with the skin.

Much thanks!

Go dry! Dry suits are made of many different materials like nylon or vulcanized rubber, and you can layer under it to any thickness. I would go with some thing like a Viking Extream or maybe a DUI trilam shell. Obviously stay away from crushed neoprene dry suits.

By the time you get done pricing out a custom wet suit to fix your problem you will probably be at the price of a good dry suit. Contact Bob3 here on ScubaBoard and he can get you into a dry suit for under retail.

Also, dry suits are much better for California diving because of the water temps around here.

I would suggest looking at the Whites Fusion drysuit, since it adapts nicely to warm weather diving as well as cold, and the self-donning zipper location makes it easy to pull down between dives.
Good luck!

I've read a forum message somewhere recommending Body Glove "Eco" wetsuits to people with neoprene allergies. One stockist's website reads:

BODYGLOVE Eco 7mm Ladies Dive Steamer Wetsuit BGD06 , 100% eco-flex throughout, the purest form of non toxic stretch material on the planet 100% non-petroleum bio-stretch rubber, 100% environmentally friendly, thermofiber chest and lumbar, fluid seal seams, organic water based inks, recycled ykk zipper. CONSTRUCTION: environmentally conscious construction, vaporlock seams, anatomically cut. FEATURES: left arm exterior zip key pocket, interior floodgate, superflex stretch kneepads. detail colour may vary.
Bodyglove Eco 7mm Ladies Dive Steamer Wetsuit Bgd06 - 6 7mm Ladies - 6mm 7mm Wetsuits - by Bodyglove

Body Glove's "Eco" suits are showcased on its website at
Body Glove | Results

Back
Top Bottom