Nekton - Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just booked a trip on the Rorqual for Memorial Day week in 2007 -- Cayman Itinerary.

This'll be our 5th Nekton trip so we know what to expect in terms of the boat but was wondering if there are any SB'ers out here who have done the Cayman Itinerary and would be willing to comment.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Since you've been on the Nekton before, I'll pose a question back to you.

We haven't done a liveaboard yet. Have you experienced rough seas while on the Nekton, and are their ships different from others in how they feel in high seas?

Thanks, sorry if this takes your thread in a different direction.

Just came back from the Cayman itinerary. The crossing from Cayman to Little Cayman can be as rough in the Nekton as other boats. In the right conditions (directly into the swell) she pitches (front to back) almost as much as any other boat of similar length - almost no roll(side to side) however so by and large a MUCH better boat for those of us who get seasick. On the crossing July 22 seas were a bit higher than normal and things were falling off shelves in cabins that weren't prepared. I was a touch seasick, but only a touch. If you are prone and seas are anything more than 4 feet or so, take something after the night dive on Sunday and sleep through the crossing.

Once you get to Little Cayman the bay is protected and is pretty much dead calm, same with Cayman Brac.

On balance I think I prefer the Belize itinerary, but this is a very slight preference. I would and probably will do Cayman again. I loved the shallow reefs and the wall edges in Cayman.

The layover in Cayman Brac loses you an afternoon of diving. I would rather dive. Others were fine with an afternoon off. Interesting wreck on Cayman Brac, but I am not that interested in wrecks so spent much of the dive in the reef beside the wreck. Got some great pics at Radar Reef on Cayman Brac.

The diving is great on Little Cayman the walls are terrific, lots of black coral. Did not see much in the way of sharks or eagle rays. Lots of turtles, lots of juvenile fish in the shallows, lots of coral. Vis was 60 - 80 feet no 100 + vis days. Pretty much macro diving, lots of little things to look at, used the wide angle on only two sites.

Watch yourself in stingray alley - two divers got bitten - nothing serious, but the bite leaves a nice bruse.

Food was better than Belize. Crew was excellent, 12 crew 11 divers, we were outnumbered.

All in all, an excellent trip and an uncrowded boat as this is a new itinerary.

I hear ya about Belize but we did that itinerary in 04 and again in 05 so it's time for a change.

Appreciate the info on the crossing and I think it also answered the question for the previous poster.

Wish it wasn't 9 months away ...

'Slogger

9 months just ups the anticipation factor:D

Back
Top Bottom