Negril Scuba Center, Any experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jubjang

Reaction score
Will be at Negril Beach Club Condo in 1st week of July. Negril Scuba Center is an onsite dive operator. Does anyone have an experience with this op.?

Unfortunately I don't have any 1st, 2nd or 3rd hand experience with them jubjang..
Are they your only choice for a dive op, or just simply the most convenient?
Did a search on http://jamaica.jamaicayp.com/ for Scuba, only result was Negril Scuba center. They're some other dive ops that I know off, but they're all based in Runaway Bay.

Most dive sites in Negril will be by boat, make sure to check out throne room, orange island wall and maybe the tug boat wreck.
Wish I could be of more help, some of the members here might have a bit more knowledge.

Btw, shameless plug for my thread here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=94128&highlight=Jamaica
Willar has some info on Negril dive sites there.

Negril Scuba Center is on the property. I've heard a positive feedback about Sundivers, but they changed the owner, so not sure what's going on. There is another one called Marinelifedivers. No negative about them either. If they're all the same, I might choose the one on site, but don't mind to use others if it's recommended.

Thank for your post. The links are useful.

I know nothing about the Negril Scuba Center but I can recommend Sun Divers at Point Village. Sun Divers is run by Myron, a very good DM and Instructor. They do single and two-tank boat trips daily to a variety of Negril area dive sites.

I dove with Myron many times out of Hedonism II and am sad to see him leave there but thrilled he is bettering himself by running the shop at Sun Divers.

I believe I dove with the Negril cuba Center last October. They did a good job, the DM's, Deron and Liondel knew the dive sites and were able to find some interesting marine life including a tigers paw and a flying gunard. I dod three dives one at Cathedral, Chinese REef and I do know the name of hte third site. In general the corals, sponges, whips and fans were fantastic with an excellent array of colors. Most of the fish are on the small side. It was well worth diving thgere and when comparing these dives to Sint Maarten and Grand Bahama were definitely better.

Enjoy your trip and dive safe

Thank you all for your valued comments. Will be there this Saturday. Can't wait. We'll also plan to be in Cancun/Cozumel this November. Do you think we should try diving in Negril or save few bucks for Cenote/ Cozumel diving?

I would recommend diving Negril. The water is warm (84F) and clear, the corals, fans, sponges are colorful, and the fish life is good but small. I've seen several turtles and many good sized rays.

First choice, my personal favorite, is The Arches. It's 50-60fsw with great color and many overhangs and short tunnels or swim-throughs. Along The Arches, or as another dive, is the Shallow Plane that was placed to start a reef a few years ago. The Tug Boat (90ft) is OK but was cleaned out, made safe and dropped square so it's not super impressive. I would rather do Green Island Wall, Frenchman's Hole, Deep Plane, or Orange Island as a deeper dive. Sands Club has deep (90) and shallow (60) sites and usually has very good creatures.

Yes, Myron is the new owner/operator, Divemaster and Instructor at SunDivers. He's a great guy and knows Negril dives sites intimately. Give him a chance if you can.

BTW, I received a great compliment from some Jamaican friends this year. They tell me I have been to Jamaica enough that I am officially a "Jamerican." LOL!

Hehe be careful now Willar before you know it, you'll be complaining about how cold it is at 'night' during 'winter' here :p
All you need to do is learn some patwa/patois and you're set!

Yea, mon, evryting irie!

Respect!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom