Negative Entries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of years ago on the Palau Agressor I had a lady complaining that I had kicked her. I think she was doing her back roll right to top of me and was too close when I was kicking down.
It's hard not to jostle each other a little when back rolling with others off of a zodiak! (Don't ask how I know...)

The Aggressor boats in Palau have hard shelled skiffs instead of Zodiacs and the divers go off in two waves.

That's all the majority of our crew does. We are slightly over weighted (1-2 lb each). If something is not right and we need to kick up we can ..

We mostly spearfish in rough water, the captains we frequently dive don't make us come up and give the "ok" before complete descent. They know something IS wrong if we do.

Out of curiosity how do you guys empty a BCD when not in the water?

I can remove most of the air but aside from sucking from the inflator, you won’t be able to remove all the air, isn’t it?

(Won’t prevent you to do a negative entry since the air in your tank will be a few kgs)

Out of curiosity how do you guys empty a BCD when not in the water?

I can remove most of the air but aside from sucking from the inflator, you won’t be able to remove all the air, isn’t it?

(Won’t prevent you to do a negative entry since the air in your tank will be a few kgs)

As mentioned just push on it and then don't worry about the rest. Just do the head first decent, power down and not worry about a little air.

Works fine unless you forgot to dump, then you are upside down kicking like an idiot and everyone on the boat should be pointing and laughing at you, but it is essential that you remain upside down and furiosly kicking, the alternative, of popping up and facing the boat and dumping air from the inflator is just too embarrassing.

Incidentally, if you do have to abort the descent in this situation, it is imperative that you remove the regulator at the surface while venting air and clearly state to everyone on the boat: "I am an idiot". It really does make their day.

Adding 1-2 pounds to a 180 pound person in dive gear, is that really a thing, is it in the negative entry course. Geared up at 300 plus pounds is beautiful for my negative entries. I still suck all the air out of my bc and breathe normally during the entire operation, is emptying your lungs and holding (can you actually do that) really a thing, negative is the only entry I do. How do people remember all these things they do, I can't remember anything I just do them.

A friend of mine just did an 80 meter rebreather dive yesterday. For his negative entry he carried a 25lb gab of sand. Left it on the bottom. Descent rate of 100 feet per minute. Problem solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom