Negative Entries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dumb question but do you need to overweight a bit for negative entries? Was diving in San Andrés, Colombia this weekend and I mentioned to the DM that I hadn’t done negatives yet so on the second day he had me go last so that I could practice them.

Wasn’t very successful. On the first attempt I think I forgot to exhale at the very beginning but even on the second one I had issues dropping quickly like I see others on videos.

I believe I’m properly weighted because I can easily hold a safety stop with empty BCD at 500 psi. I have a Hydros so no air trapped in a jacket. My fins are Seawing Novas which are a bit positively buoyant.

I hadn’t done negatives yet so on the second day he had me go lay so that I could practice them.

What did you mean by "had me go lay" ?

Dumb question but do you need to overweight a bit for negative entries? Was diving in San Andrés, Colombia this weekend and I mentioned to the DM that I hadn’t done negatives yet so on the second day he had me go lay so that I could practice them.

Wasn’t very successful. On the first attempt I think I forgot to exhale at the very beginning but even on the second one I had issues dropping quickly like I see others on videos.

I believe I’m properly weighted because I can easily hold a safety stop with empty BCD at 500 psi. I have a Hydros so no air trapped in a jacket. My fins are Seawing Novas which are a bit positively buoyant.
If I know I’m going to hot drop a site in a current, I’ll carry an extra couple of pounds of old lead that I don’t mind leaving behind if I have to.

You should not need to be overweighted for a negative entry. If your BCD is empty and you remember to not hold your breath AND not fin upwards, you should be good. That said, it can't hurt to carry just a couple of extra pounds for that type of diving. Once you get used to negative entries you may be able to leave the extra behind.

Are you diving a wetsuit? If it has Air trapped in the neoprene, it can make a difference. I usually kick down several kicks as soon as I splash while the neoprene compresses and all is good. I prefer to be a little heavy in current as well.

Safe travels,
Jay

If your wing/BC is empty, you'll be 5-6 pounds heavy when you hit the water. Once you do, just flip head downwards and kick.

Are you diving a wetsuit? If it has Air trapped in the neoprene, it can make a difference. I usually kick down several kicks as soon as I splash while the neoprene compresses and all is good. I prefer to be a little heavy in current as well.

Safe travels,
Jay
Thanks. No wet suit needed in San Andrés. Water was 28degC. I haven’t used one since OW.

Thanks everyone. I probably screwed up, will get more practice.

Thanks everyone. I probably screwed up, will get more practice.
When you are in the learning process, I wouldn't call that "screwing up," I would call that "learning!" :wink: Hats off to you for recognizing that you needed to learn and actively asking for the training!

Back
Top Bottom