Needing Flight Advice to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcgowman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am trying to pick a flight from Miami to Bonaire in July. Dutch Antilles Express has an early morning flight with a layover in Curacao. My concern is that there's only a 45 min layover before the connection to Bonaire departs.

Is that enough time? I assume we'd need to clear customs in Curacao.

I know there are frequent flights between BON and CUR, but would prefer to have my plans nailed down instead of scrambling to get seats on a later connection.

Thanks in advance.

So you're saying DAE has a flight from MIA? That is, DAE flies MIA-CUR-BON? If so, then DAE books you straight through and will be aware that you need to be on the CUR-BON flight. CUR is a tiny airport. It seems like it should be enough time. If it weren't enough time, they wouldn't (assuming DAE works like most other international airlines) offer to book you the MIA-CUR-BON flight as a single itinerary. Really, you could just ask DAE to confirm this is true. If this is a listed itinerary, you're doing the same thing that others do all the time. Of course, if you're booking the flights separately--not as a single trip--that's differently. Definitely ask DAE in that case.

I usually fly InselAir from MIA, so I have no direct knowledge.

Thanks Lorenzoid & lmorin.

Flt Nr:
City Pair
Dep.
Arr.
DOW
Equip.
Stops
7I-908
MIA-BON
15:00
19:00
M80
NON-STOP

I assume that's the Insel Air flight?

The DAE flight arrived in BON at 11AM local time.

I was thinking that if we arrived earlier in the day, we could at least get an afternoon dive in. But our resort does the marine park orientation daily at 9AM, so we'd still miss it regardless.

Maybe we'll sneak a night dive in when no-one is looking. :D

Maybe we'll sneak a night dive in when no-one is looking. :D

Can't sneak it in because no one will rent you tanks without the orientation!

I do not know DAE but if it is anything like Insel Air, there is no such things as "nailing down" flight times. Our last trip was on Insel through Caracao and we (everyone from the inbound flight) basically ran through the airport following an airline representative to get to the plane. Our next trip is in 1 week and like you there is a 45 min layover. In my limited experience with Insel, the problem isn't making it through the Caracao airport, its making it to the airport in time for the connecting flight!

in my experience, all airline travel sucks. I have flown AA, United, US Airways and Delta and I don't think I have had an uneventful round trip flight anywhere in over 15 years. Cancelled flights, flight delays, lost/delayed luggage. Been there, done that. My last flight to Bonaire was Insel Air and it was at least as good as any other airline experience and a lot cheaper. Hope I can say the same after my flight next week...

Am trying to pick a flight from Miami to Bonaire in July. Dutch Antilles Express has an early morning flight with a layover in Curacao. My concern is that there's only a 45 min layover before the connection to Bonaire departs.

Is that enough time? I assume we'd need to clear customs in Curacao.

I know there are frequent flights between BON and CUR, but would prefer to have my plans nailed down instead of scrambling to get seats on a later connection.

Thanks in advance.

We did that same flight and there were no issues. It's so tiny and we just got off walked through customs and then over to our flight. And if your resort is Buddy Dive, they do the scheduled orientation at 9 am but are very accommodating to do them ad hoc. Our group of 4 did it when we got settled in and we did afternoon and night dives that same day.

Do NOT Go with DAE!

They have been having problems for the last few months. Many flight canceled or delayed. We just got back. Did all three islands and used DAE for the island hopping flights. Aruba to Curacao is a 30 minute flight. We were in the airport from 8 am till 4PM waiting. The trip from Curacao to Bonaire was 10 hours waiting for a 15 minute flight. When we finally boarded three ppl had the same seat on their ticket. Talked with the other ppl on the plane (only 12 total) and some had been bumped from the day before. They are canceling flights trying to fill the others. Everyone we talked to on the islands laughed when we told them we used DAE. On our flights back we bought tickets on a later flight from a different airline to be safe. DAE was only 1 hour delayed so we used them, but then they lost our luggage. They were no help finding it ether. A lady from the luggage claim at the airport helped us track it down. Insel i was told is the way to go. And they cater to divers giving an extra 10 pounds for luggage.

Merlin

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom