Need your help! Out islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mars1954

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to the Board and would really appreciate your help.

We're debating between the Bahamas and Bonaire this summer - husband (experienced diver), me (50-100 dives) 16 year old (dove Cozumel last summer) and 22 yr. old nephew (same experience as my son & very interested in sharks!)

If we go to Bahamas, we'd probably fly into Naussau (cheapest from CA, where we are), so we could indulge my nephew's shark fixation there. But, I'd like to go to one of the Out Islands - actually I'd love to see lots of them, but $$ is a consideration (darn!).

If you were interested in seeing dolphins, like wall dives and a kicked back attitude (prefer not to be on cattle boats, but figure that will be likely in the Naussau portion) what other island would you suggest? I should say that we had considered a live-aboard (Sail Juliet), but the timing wasn't going to work out.

Thank you so much for your help! I promise to reciprocate by posting about the trip when we get back. Marlene

Thanks - I read it. I've been curious about Andros, but heard that there was a lot of algae there. Maybe not...

Too bad there are 4 of you as I only have 2 spots but have been in the out islands for 32 years
Check out my July 16-25 liveaboard posting and god willing I'll be doing it next year
We filmed a pod of killer whales in 1994
You would find lost island voyages and the 12 passenger boat superb
Ray Temeyer owner and Captain was operations manager for Blackbeards for decades and knows how" not to run":lotsalove: a cattle boat operation

I have no knowledge of Bonaire.
Nassau? I'd be looking at the Dolphin Encounter either at i) Atlantis, Paradise Island or ii)Blue lagoon island for Dolphins.
The rest you seem to already know. I've heard Cove's boats are said to be crowded. I'd discribe them as busy. They have at least four boats going out twice a day. snorkelling, Sub marines and two dive boats (one slightly more skilled OW divers, one for less skilled and lessons etc). I've been on their boats through out the seasons for the last year and can only describe them as efficient.
I've only ever rushed a dive once. That was due to inclement weather. I was down there sunday passed, me and some mates missed the boat. They called it back and set us off again, no fuss, no rush. (Plenty of sarcasm! as i'm sure you can imagine.)
As for other islands. Eleuthra has Ocean Fox at either end and is only about 120miles away. San Salvador is further and really superb diving (Riding Rock). Andros is 18 miles west,(Where i hope to get a long weekend soon if work lets up) just the other side of the second deepest trench in the world, it's Eastern coast is lined with the third largest barrier reef in the world all but undived. Algea? I can live with a little Algea!

What ever you choose, Good luck!
Dan.

Hello all,
I am new to the Board and would really appreciate your help.

We're debating between the Bahamas and Bonaire this summer - husband (experienced diver), me (50-100 dives) 16 year old (dove Cozumel last summer) and 22 yr. old nephew (same experience as my son & very interested in sharks!)

If we go to Bahamas, we'd probably fly into Naussau (cheapest from CA, where we are), so we could indulge my nephew's shark fixation there. But, I'd like to go to one of the Out Islands - actually I'd love to see lots of them, but $$ is a consideration (darn!).

If you were interested in seeing dolphins, like wall dives and a kicked back attitude (prefer not to be on cattle boats, but figure that will be likely in the Naussau portion) what other island would you suggest? I should say that we had considered a live-aboard (Sail Juliet), but the timing wasn't going to work out.

Thank you so much for your help! I promise to reciprocate by posting about the trip when we get back. Marlene

Actually, there are more liveaboards to choose from than just the Juliet. The Bahamas are where you will see the dolphins and sharks and the best way to see them is on a liveaboard. The cost works out to about the same as staying a resort and eating out every meal.

Check out my report/photos/videos for the Nekton: http://www.rnrscuba.net/NektonCaySal.html

one video of mine on YouTube:

Besides the Nekton Nekton Diving Cruises - Comfort, Stability, Worldclass Diving
there are also
BLACKBEARDS-CRUISES.COM
and
Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving
and
Scuba Diving Bahamas Liveboard Aqua Cat

all of these have Bahamas itineraries and would be fun and good diving for the young ones in your group.

Bonaire is nice but you aren't going to see the dolphins (except at the surface, most likely) or any sharks.

:D

Been to both and by far my favorite diving is in Bonaire...but you have a better chance seeing sharks in the Bahamas. I have seen sharks in Bonaire. Cat Island, Greenwood's Resort, I highly recommend if you go to the Out Islands in the Bahamas. The German family that runs the resort and dive operation are wonderful people. The diving is relaxed and good.

Where in California are you?

Go to Andros. You'll see sharks on every dive. Stay at Coral Caverns--they are really nice people and the food is great. Neal and Mark are fun to dive with and you will see everything and then some. Have fun!

Thanks everyone so much for your advice! It has been really helpful.

To "Dive California" - we are in Fair Oaks (near Sac). Not exactly a diving mecca! But, my husband and son dive down in Monterey, my husband used to do a fair amount of ab diving on the North Coast (pre-child). I'm more of a fair weather (or warm water!) diver! Marlene

Back
Top Bottom